Who We Are
Generate Biomedicines, Inc. is a Flagship backed, privately-held biotechnology company on a mission to reimagine the drug discovery process to one of dynamic, data-driven generation. We pursue this audacious vision because we believe in the unique and revolutionary power of generative biology to radically transform the lives of billions, with an outsized opportunity for patients in need. Generate will be successful by constantly turning innovative ideas into methods, technologies, and products that solve some of the most difficult challenges with developing medicines. We are seeking collaborative, relentless problem solvers that share our passion for impact to join us!
Generate was founded by Flagship Pioneering. Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $30 billion in aggregate value. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 37 transformative companies, including: Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Indigo Agriculture, and Sana Biotechnology.
Generate’s deep learning technology is built to constantly improve with more data, therefore high-throughput experimentation is critical to our platform. We use creative, highly customized application of next generation sequencing technology to precisely couple full-length protein sequences to quantitative measurements in novel assays.
We are seeking a self-motivated Computational Scientist of NGS to develop novel processing and analysis techniques across multiple sequencing platforms, and then to build them into production pipelines. She/he will work with experimental scientists from Protein Sciences and Medicines groups to guide assay design, select key technologies, and devise sequencing prep protocols. The successful candidate will be comfortable iterating rapidly in development phase, while building robust and reliable pipelines in production, in order to gather massive volumes of training data for generative protein models. Finally, this role will work with the Medicines group to build NGS pipelines and carry out target-specific genomics and transcriptomics analyses in support of ongoing drug development programs.
- Design and implement custom NGS processing pipelines, statistical models, and analysis methods for high-throughput protein function assays.
- Act as internal expert and thought leader for NGS computational methodology.
- Interface NGS pipelines with in-house data platform and computational cluster via programmatic APIs and web apps.
- Work with Protein Sciences and Medicines groups to process and analyze genomic and transcriptomic data.
- Develop production-quality code and scalable, reproducible, shared workflows in a team setting.
- Present progress from scientific work in regular research meetings.
- MS with 3+ years experience or PhD in Computational Biology, Computer Science or a related field
- Demonstrated experience applying NGS computational techniques to a variety of biological applications, preferable in the biotech industry.
- Experience developing, debugging, and applying custom software for processing raw reads and alignments.
- Proficiency in Python and experience analyzing data with Numpy/Scipy, R, or similar.
- Deep expertise in managing Linux environments using Docker, as well as package management using conda, pip, apt/yum or other package management tools.
- Experience deploying robust, automated workflows using workflow management tools such as Prefect, Luigi, Cromwell, or similar, and compute cluster infrastructures such as AWS ECS, Kubernetes, LSF, or similar.
Nice to have:
- Experience designing and optimizing NGS experiments
- Demonstrated experience developing software in a team setting.
- Experience with optimizing performant code.