Flagship Labs 68, Inc. is a well-funded, early-stage biotechnology company founded by Flagship Pioneering that is primed to revolutionize cell therapeutics. Since early 2020, FL68 scientists have been characterizing a novel, but overlooked, cell behavior and built the foundation for exploiting this behavior for an entirely new type of cellular therapeutic. FL68 is currently hiring for several roles to rapidly expand on this early work and to pursue a multi-modality platform with the potential to generate cures across a diverse landscape of diseases. In the next 1-2 years, the company seeks to reduce this therapeutic model to practice, demonstrate usefulness across a range of applications, and complete pre-clinical proof-of-concept studies. We are seeking highly motivated and uniquely creative scientists to push our science to the next level and create truly novel medicines.
FL68 was founded in Flagship’s venture creation engine, where companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), and Editas Medicines (NASDAQ: EDIT) were conceived and created. Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
FL68 is seeking a scientist to join our protein engineering team. Major responsibilities will include the design and building of expression constructs to fuel our protein development and discovery efforts.
The scientist will assist in building the protein expression constructs that drive the FL68 platform. This will involve everything from de novo design of new proteins in silico to use of rapid molecular cloning techniques and downstream cell assays. The ideal candidate will have a creative mindset and will contribute to conception of new strategies while also generating and testing new designs at a fast pace and growing scale. They will establish and interrogate large plasmid and cell libraries in cell-based assays to gain mechanistic insights on cell function and identify new directions. This role will generate important tools and a basic scientific knowledge base that will be used throughout the company. Strong attention to detail, organization and communication skills will be essential.
- De novo design of novel proteins in collaboration with other scientists of the protein engineering team
- Production of new mammalian expression constructs using rapid assembly techniques
- Running of cell-based assays to assess changes in cell behavior based on new protein designs
- Establishment of high-throughput methodologies for optimizing proteins, including cell assays
- Development of strategies for engineering novel protein-protein interactions
PhD degree with 3+ years of experience with the techniques below:
- Protein design
- Design of antibodies, chimeric antigen receptors, or other multi-domain fusion proteins is preferred
- Plasmid design and associated software
- Experience and understanding of molecular cloning techniques is required
- E. coli cell culture techniques
- High-throughput plasmid engineering (eg. Gibson, Hifi Assembly, or in-fusion)
- Mammalian cell culture
- Culture of multiple cell types, both adherent and non-adherent
- Transfection or electroporation experience
- Stable cell line generation is a plus
- Flow cytometry or live cell microscopy experience is preferred
- Outstanding attention to detail and highly organized
- Desire to work in a high-paced, collaborative environment
- Strong communication skills and regular reporting to team and company leadership
More About Flagship Pioneering
We are creative optimists and we would love for you to consider joining our team! See all our open opportunities across Flagship Pioneering’s Ecosystem!
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship is backed by more than $4.4 billion of aggregate capital commitments, of which over $1.9 billion has been deployed toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $10 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including: Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics, Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SYRS).
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.