Toran Therapeutics is a privately held, early stage biotechnology company creating an unprecedented drug discovery platform around transporter proteins to discover novel therapeutics. As the molecular gateways of our bodies, transporters are responsible for the flux of all biomolecules into and out of all cells and organelles. As a generally untapped but druggable class of proteins, transporters have been ignored because they are notoriously difficult to work with. Toran is developing novel biological and technological solutions for transporter biology to treat a broad range of diseases.
Toran Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an institute dedicated to the origination and development of first-in-category life sciences companies. Since 2000, Flagship has originated and fostered the development of nearly 100 scientific ventures resulting in $20+ billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
We are seeking a highly motivated and creative scientist or biological engineer with experience in mammalian cell line development and recombinant protein expression. S/he will join an interdisciplinary team to develop and optimize transient and stable cell lines expressing membrane proteins to support platform and pipeline development. The successful candidate is an entrepreneurial scientist with experience engineering cell lines and optimizing expression and throughput, interested in helping to build an innovative, world-class technology platform. We are looking for an enthusiastic scientist with a passion for solving difficult technical challenges to bring novel medicines to patients. S/he will be comfortable balancing multiple projects and enjoy working in a pioneering, fast-paced, and collaborative start-up environment, with the opportunity to make a large impact to advance Toran’s mission.
- Develop and optimize mammalian cell lines to express recombinant membrane and soluble proteins to support platform and pipeline build-out
- Design and assemble DNA constructs for transient and stable transfection
- Engineer cell lines through knock-out, knock-in, or overexpression to optimize expression and support platform development
- Delivery of high-quality and timely data in collaboration with interdisciplinary teams
- Communicate ideas and results to internal and external parties in verbal, written, and presentation formats
- Contribute meaningfully to building a world-class transporter platform at the forefront of scientific innovation
- Ph.D. (with 3+ years’ experience) in biology, biological engineering, or related fields, with an emphasis on engineering mammalian cells for recombinant protein expression
- Demonstrated experience designing and assembling DNA parts into modular vectors
- Experience with transient and stable (lentiviral, retroviral) transfection, and CRISPR/Cas9
- Experience expressing membrane proteins is a plus
- Experience with medium to large-scale expression is a plus
- Strong ability to analyze and communicate complex data sets and science in a clear and concise manner through written or oral communications
- Instinctive team player with excellent interpersonal skills