What if…you could join an organization that creates, resources, and builds life sciences companies that invent breakthrough technologies in order to transform health care and sustainability?
Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
Flagship Pioneering is seeking a business savvy, creative, hands-on, strategic IP Attorney with significant transactional experience who will work closely with the cross-functional teams of early stage Flagship enterprise companies to build value through developing and executing IP strategy for the companies’ innovative therapeutic technologies and platforms. The successful candidate has a demonstrated ability to think strategically and is fluent in multiple scientific and technology areas. This is an extremely interactive role in a unique environment that requires excellent communication skills and the ability to provide pragmatic and business-savvy advice, identify and leverage innovations, build transactional value, manage multiple priorities, and succinctly identify and communicate decisions and rationales to both scientific and executive teams. The position reports to the Flagship Partner, IP.
- Build, execute, and manage a global IP strategy for one or more designated Flagship enterprise companies, including developing and growing a worldwide patent portfolio, identifying and mitigating 3rd party IP issues, and efficiently managing outside counsel.
- Collaborate with corporate and BD teams for partnering, IP due diligence, competitive intelligence, and IP licensing efforts.
- Provide both general legal IP-focused counsel and education to company scientists and management; serve as advisor to Flagship’s Origination Teams.
- Help build IP and contracting infrastructure and management as needed to manage growth and effect efficiencies.
- Drive brand protection by working with stakeholders to implement trademark strategy.
- Required: Juris Doctorate and graduate science degree (Ph.D. in biological or chemistry field).
- Required: At least 10 years of IP advisor experience (prosecution, opinion work, strategic development, transactional work) and at least 4 years of in-house IP experience.
- Required: Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Required: Substantive transactional experience.
- Required: Extensive knowledge of patent law and procedure, including international and foreign patent prosecution procedure.
- Preferred: IP litigation experience.
- Flexible, personable team-player, able to think “out-of-the-box”; comfort with a fast-paced, small company environment, early stage pre-data IP building, and helping design experiments to optimally support IP filings.
- Proven ability to set and meet ambitious deadlines, handle numerous multifaceted legal issues, and see projects through to conclusion.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with both scientists and management.
Ability to distill complexity and to communicate decisively with sound judgment