Flagship Pioneering is launching Harbinger Oncology, a privately held, well-funded, early-stage biotechnology company that is pioneering the control of epigenetic mechanisms in cancer.
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and grows first-in-category life sciences companies. Since 2000, Flagship has created over 75 groundbreaking companies that are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:SYRS), Axcella Health, Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), and Indigo Agriculture.
This new Flagship Labs venture is a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial, and innovation-driven organization seeking to hire an exceptional Senior Scientist to join our team.
Harbinger Oncology is seeking an innovative and highly motivated Research Associate, Next Generation Sequencing Specialist with expertise in patient sample processing, NGS library preparation and sequencing to play a key role in the company’s efforts to discover and validate novel biomarkers for cancer. The candidate will be working under the direction of a Senior Research Associate or Scientist and will be responsible for performing quality control on human biospecimens, processing the biospecimens under Lab SOPs and quality standards, and generating quality data in a timely fashion. The successful candidate will work closely with the Harbinger Oncology team to rapidly advance the scientific program. The ideal candidate must be organized, flexible, goal oriented, and eager to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Prepare, process, and analyze samples for clinical trials and development projects
- Perform quality control measures to monitor sample and analytical performance, take corrective action where applicable and report any failures to an appropriate member of staff
- Undertake accurate and precise data entry on the Laboratory Information Systems (LIS)
- Maintain integrity and accuracy of laboratory database where appropriate
- Undertake routine and complex sample preparation using accuracy and precision to correctly employ the procedures and protocols
- Perform automated, semi-automated and manual processing of specimens which may require a high level of dexterity (e.g., library preparations for next generation sequencing).
- Adhere to lab SOPs to process samples quickly and efficiently as part of a team
- Work with the team to improve SOPs where possible
- Execute, analyze, and communicate scientific findings
- General lab cleaning, organization, maintenance, and inventory upkeep
- Develop a close working relationship with the other technical and scientific staff while collaborating effectively with colleagues from other sections
- Run experiments designed by other staff
- BS or equivalent in the Biological Sciences, Chemistry or Physical Sciences or related discipline
- Previous laboratory experience, in academic, pharmaceutical, or biotechnology settings, clinical laboratory experience helpful
- Experience with DNA and RNA extraction, preparation of NGS libraries, hybridization, and sequencing.
- Track record of working with novel NGS assays and/or training in NGS assay development
- Knowledge of Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) and other relevant regulatory agency standards (CAP, CLIA, ISO15189:2012), a plus
- Demonstrated ability to work in highly skilled teams in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, or technical setting