We are seeking an experienced and driven colleague who shares our vision of data as a strategic asset and passion for organizing and mapping data to enable cutting edge research. You will be joining a creative and collaborative team of researchers dedicated to leveraging emerging insights in RNA biology to develop a novel class of oligonucleotide-based human therapeutics. In this role you will be creating data architecture in support of the company’s R&D pipeline and building solutions that facilitate current projects and enable rapid growth. Please apply if you feel that you can contribute to growing our team and advance our mission.
Flagship Labs 63, Inc. was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise that conceives, resources and grows first-in-category life science companies (including the now familiar drug and vaccine innovator, Moderna Therapeutics). The firm’s institutional innovation foundry, Flagship Labs, is where teams of scientific entrepreneurs systematically evolve ideas and turn previously undiscovered areas of science into real-world ventures. Flagship has created over 100 scientific ventures resulting in >$19 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and >50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents. Flagship’s portfolio companies include Sana, Seres, Codiak, Rubius Therapeutics, and Indigo Agriculture.
As an early member of a privately held, well-funded, early-stage platform biotechnology company, you will have an opportunity to contribute to building our digital strategy and significant influence on technology platform development, with many options to apply your skills and talent as the company continues to expand.
- Lead the data architecture/data engineering function of the FL63 R&D Informatics group
- Maintain and optimize the current research informatics systems including electronic laboratory notebook software, research databases (reagent inventory, protocols and datamaps, testsets), and ensure FAIR principles across the entire company data universe
- Building on the existing IT and research informatics systems, maintain and expand the infrastructure to include LIMS and integration with laboratory automation group
- Serve as the liaison between R&D Informatics and research project teams, ensure that the data structure and tools match well with current and upcoming projects,
- Develop tools that support data QC and curation. Develop, build, populate, and maintain platform-related databases and tools to query the information
- Establish and maintain a data/process integration and best practices implementation function to ensure the data are captured in a timely manner and according to the SOP. Serve as a point person and in-house expert to train and enable researchers and other stakeholders to be aware of all relevant processes, tools and best practices related to data generation, capture, storage, and analysis
- Support NGS data storage and processing, data lake organization and maintenance
- Facilitate data mining and analytics; ensure that all company data are compatible with existing and planned research informatics pipelines; are ML/AI ready and compliant
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with contract research organizations (CROs) and external consultants. Design, contract and manage work at CROs and external consultants to deliver functional modules and solutions.
- Be a strong and vocal advocate for data quality and operation within FAIR data principles across the company
- Help to build a world-class R&D Informatics team at FL63
Qualifications and Preferred Skills:
- MS or Ph.D. degree in a scientific field coupled with relevant computational chemistry experience, including at least 3 years in an industrial setting
- Established track record of successful research database construction, data mapping and warehousing; data cleanup and tagging
- Demonstrated track record of building and implementing electronic laboratory notebooks, ELN – research database integration and two-way information flow
- Understanding of and direct experience with using AWS and other cloud storage solutions for NGS data and other large datasets, understanding of data integration approaches and solutions
- Deep understanding of visualization tools (Tableau, Spotfire, Excel graphing capabilities) and their application in research data reporting; generation of project dashboards and project/data reports
- Skilled in clear and concise written communication, presentations targeted to various levels of the organization. Ability to present concepts and data to varied audiences that help drive decision-making
- Excellent organizational skills, effective project leader
Fast-acting/efficient. Moves quickly and proactively with a strong work ethic to produce high-quality results while fostering a positive work environment. Focuses on key priorities. Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
Integrity. Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidences. Does what is right not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully. Follows-through on commitments. Expects a high level of personal performance and team performance.
Critical thinking. Learns quickly. Demonstrates ability to proficiently understand new information and independently achieve meaningful outcomes. Able to structure and process qualitative/quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions.
Creativity & Innovation. Generates new and creative approaches to problem solving. Positive ‘can-do’ attitude. Views the toughest challenges as the greatest opportunities for personal growth and company innovation.
Teamwork. Fully engaged in facilitating personal and team success. Reaches out to peers and cooperates with the team to establish an overall collaborative work environment. Often solicits and responds well to constructive feedback. Possesses good written and oral communication skills with the ability to clearly and concisely convey ideas and opinions.
Flexibility/adaptability. Adjusts quickly to changing strategic and tactical priorities. ‘Wears multiple hats’ and is comfortable with ambiguity.