Tessera Therapeutics is an early-stage life sciences company pioneering Gene Writing, a new biotechnology designed to offer scientists and clinicians the ability to write small and large therapeutic messages into the genome, thereby curing diseases at their source. Gene Writing holds the potential to become a new category in genetic medicine, building upon recent breakthroughs in gene therapy and gene editing while eliminating important limitations in their reach, utilization, and efficacy. Tessera Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, a life sciences innovation enterprise that conceives, resources, and develops first-in-category companies to transform human health and sustainability.
The Scientist I/II will be responsible for leading research efforts to support the therapeutic development of Gene Rewriter technology. We are searching for a driven, enthusiastic and self-motivated individual who is comfortable multitasking and working independently on various aspects of the platform. This individual will join a dynamic, rapidly growing, and highly collaborative team.
- Design and deliver high-quality in vitro and vivo studies to evaluate therapeutic activity, MOA and phenotypic characterization in relevant cellular and mouse models.
- Work with Platform team to drive lead identification and candidate selection of therapeutic Gene Rewriters.
- Develop and implement target-specific assays and protocols for in vitro and vivo phenotypic analyses.
- Provide scientific and technical leadership on therapeutic hypothesis, animal models and biomarker validation.
- Contribute to the preparation of study reports and summaries required for regulatory filings.
- Manage direct report in a matrix organization.
- Ph.D. in the Biological Sciences with >2 years of postdoctoral experience in relevant field
- Ability to independently design, plan, and execute in cell-based and vivo experiments.
- Extensive experience in molecular and cellular biology assays such as mammalian cell culture, cell-based assays, immunoassays, qPCR/ddPCR, NGS, FACS and IHC/histology
- Strong oral and written communication skills, as well as excellent documentation and organizational skills.
- Experience in managing research associates or direct reports.
- Innovative and creative, proactive initiative-taking
- Experience in research and characterization of mouse models of human diseases
- Experience with primary cell culture, iPSCs, MEFs or other human cell model systems.
- Experience with genome editing (e.g. CRISPR/Cas9) is highly preferred
More About Flagship Pioneering
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has, through its Flagship Labs unit, applied its unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $50B in aggregate value. To date, Flagship has deployed over $2.2B in capital toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $18B of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics (NASDAQ: FHTX), Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Sigilon Therapeutics (NASDAQ: SGTX).