Flagship Labs 78 (FL78) is a well-funded, early-stage biotechnology company pioneering an innovative approach to therapeutic discovery and development. FL78 was founded through Flagship’s venture creation engine, where companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (RUBY), and Editas Medicines (EDIT) were conceived and created. Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of nearly 100 scientific ventures resulting in $20+ billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
Are you a highly motivated Microfluidic Specialist who wants to develop the next breakthrough therapeutics discovery platform? We are seeking a determined, impact-driven Scientist with a results-driven attitude and attention to detail who will drive innovation and optimization of a unique technological platform for high-throughput cellular screening. As one of the first five employees, you would join a dynamic, diverse and inclusive team with ample opportunity to grow into a leadership role as we expand. This is a unique opportunity to help drive the growth of an early startup within a well-resourced environment with an experienced founding team at the intersections of platform development, cellular biology, and therapeutic design.
- Generate microfluidic droplets and particles to support FL78’s platform development efforts
- Design and execute systematic parameterization studies of materials, flow rates, and other key parameters for microfluidic particle generation
- Perform and characterize encapsulation of mammalian cells and reagents in microfluidic systems
- Collaborate closely with our biology and sequencing teams to perform innovative cellular reactions and screens within microfluidic particles
- Produce, analyze, and iterate high-throughput microfluidic particle production in the context of functional libraries of high complexity
- Optimize precise control of experimental parameters in parallelized microfluidic systems for scaling of cellular assays to production scale
- Generate SOPs for the FL78 platform
- Produce, analyze and communicate scientific insights in cross-functional settings
- Work flexibly and independently as part of a multi-disciplinary team in a fast-paced scientific environment.
- Ph.D. in biomedical engineering, biotechnology, or related field preferred. M.S. acceptable for exceptional candidates with prior experience.
- 4+ years of experience in microfluidics and microfluidic technologies. Must have working knowledge of droplet generation and/or droplet-based biological assays.
- Experience in high-throughput biology in the context of microfluidics is required. Examples include, but are not limited to: single cell analysis, cellular assays, functional screens, biochemical screens, mutagenesis screens, perturbation assays, or next-generation sequencing.
- Familiarity with cell handling and basic tissue culture techniques.
- Experience in bioinformatics, statistics, and data handling techniques. Basic coding experience in Python, Matlab, or similar required.
- Must have excellent organizational skills and attention to detail for systematic studies. Prior experience in large-scale study design is a plus.
- Experience with NGS library preparation is a plus.
- Experience with microscopy and flow cytometry is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver high-quality results independently and collaboratively
- Adaptive and a quick learner, efficient in multi-tasking, and troubleshooting
Flagship Pioneering is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.