TORAN Therapeutics is a privately held, early stage biotechnology company creating an unprecedented drug discovery platform around transporter proteins to discover novel therapeutics. As the molecular gateways of our bodies, transporters are responsible for the flux of all biomolecules into and out of all cells and organelles. As a generally untapped but druggable class of proteins, transporters have been ignored because they are notoriously difficult to work with. TORAN is developing novel biological and technological solutions for transporter biology to treat a broad range of diseases such as metabolic disease, immunological disease, CNS disorders, and oncology.
TORAN Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an institute dedicated to the origination and development of first-in-category life sciences companies. Since 2000, Flagship has originated and fostered the development of nearly 100 scientific ventures resulting in $20+ billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
We are seeking a Vice President/Head of Biology to develop and advance novel targets from early discovery and development to drug programs. The position has the unique opportunity to create a vision and implement the strategy that will make a major impact in the transporter drug discovery field. The successful candidate is a confident leader with extensive prior success drug development, preferably in multiple disease areas such as immunology, oncology, metabolic diseases and is a proven leader with strong skills in scientific program management, communication, and team building. You will lead the company’s biology platform and a team of highly talented scientists, in addition to working together with the head of platform and chemistry to advance the company’s pipeline and mission to bring novel medicines to patients.
- Define and execute the company’s discovery biology platform and strategy
- Direct company’s efforts in novel target identification and advancement
- Direct the execution of multiple concurrent drug discovery programs, including setting scientific direction, development of program timelines, monitoring of key milestones and decision points, and managing scientific team
- Work closely with company’s SAB and other advisors to advance company’s biology platform
- Build, lead and manage a high-performing group of talented scientists
- Perform research and development in collaboration with other functions in projects pertaining to a range of potential indications
- Communicate, as appropriate, efforts and progress to internal and external parties
- Ph.D. in biology or related discipline with 12+ years of relevant post-Ph.D. experience in Biotech/Pharma with an excellent track record
- 5+ years of scientific leadership experience leading research teams working on multiple concurrent multidisciplinary projects
- Successful track record of leading drug discovery programs especially with novel targets
- Broad experience in multiple therapeutic areas (e.g. metabolism, immunology, cardiology, oncology, neurology, or orphan diseases)
- Experience designing and validating novel cell-based assays, phenotypic screens, in vivo disease models to evaluate potential new targets
- Experience in the discovery and preclinical development of therapeutics targeting membrane proteins (Transporters, ion channels, GPCRs) is preferred
- Prior experience working with or leading collaborations with external academic, biotechnology, and contract research organizations
- Ability to organize and communicate complex data sets in a clear and concise manner to key stakeholders from diverse backgrounds