Flagship Labs 63 Inc. (FL63) is a privately held, well-funded, early-stage platform biotechnology company that is leveraging emerging insights in RNA biology to develop a novel class of human therapeutics.
FL63 was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise that conceives, resources and grows first-in-category life science companies. The firm’s institutional innovation foundry, Flagship Labs, is where teams of scientific entrepreneurs systematically evolve ideas and turn previously undiscovered areas of science into real-world ventures. Flagship has created over 100 scientific ventures resulting in >$19 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and >50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents. Flagship’s portfolio companies include Moderna, Rubius Therapeutics, and Indigo Agriculture.
FL63 is a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial and innovation-driven organization seeking to hire an exceptional Senior Research Associate with a background in Lab Automation & Screening leader to join our growing team. A successful candidate will have a B.S./M.S. in the biological sciences or engineering, an additional 3+ years of relevant experience, preferably in a biotech/pharma or high-quality academic screening environment. The candidate’s career goals, technical skills, and core competencies should be aligned with the description below.
- Support lab automation and LIMS build out including contributions to the selection of appropriate technologies to support the company’s mission.
- Drive miniaturization and automation of critical in vitro, cell-based and/or NGS assays. Execute related screening and molecular profiling projects.
- Generate reproducible data sets and collaborate effectively with computational biology team members for end-to-end automation of pipeline processes.
- Continually cultivate scientific/technical expertise through critical review of the scientific literature and attending external conferences in the field (e.g. SLAS)
- Work effectively with a cross-functional biology, technology, and chemistry team to successfully execute prioritized projects, hit key milestones and achieve individual and company goals.
- Proven track-record in establishing lab automation and screening assays in an innovative academic, biotech, or pharma environment.
- Professional knowledge in automation of cell-based assays including reporter gene and high content screening (HCS) assays.
- Hands on capabilities in programming/maintaining Biomek i5/i7 series robots and familiarity with a wide range of laboratory instrumentation.
- Expertise in implementing LIMS.
- Strong organizational skills related to experimental design, assay execution, data management and reporting.
- Strong scientific communication skills with the ability to clearly explain complex processes and data sets to drive decision-making.
- Working knowledge in automating in vitro and NGS assays (e.g. RNA-seq).
- Exposure to Design of Experiments (DoE) models to accelerate assay development, with an emphasis on relevant software (e.g. JMP15) and instrumentation (e.g. Formulatrix Mantis/Tempest).
- Hands on experience working with complex biological models (e.g. iPSC-derived cells, organoids, 3D printing) for HTS applications.
- Exposure to the special requirements related to managing and screening RNA as a biology reagent and therapeutic modality.
- Fast-acting/efficient. Moves quickly and proactively with a strong work ethic to produce high-quality results while fostering a positive work environment. Focuses on key priorities. Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Integrity. Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidences. Does what is right not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully. Follows-through on commitments. Expects a high level of personal performance and team performance.
- Critical thinking. Learns quickly. Demonstrates ability to proficiently understand new information and independently achieve meaningful outcomes. Able to structure and process quantitative data to draw insightful conclusions and solve complex problems.
- Creativity & Innovation. Generates new and creative approaches to problem solving. Positive ‘can-do’ attitude. Views the toughest challenges as the greatest opportunities for personal growth and company innovation.
- Teamwork. Fully engaged in facilitating personal and team success. Reaches out to peers and cooperates with the team to establish an overall collaborative work environment. Often solicits and responds well to constructive feedback. Possesses good written and oral communication skills with the ability to clearly and concisely convey ideas and opinions.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Adjusts quickly to changing strategic and tactical priorities. Comfortable with ambiguity.