Come join the Flagship Labs 63 scientific innovation team! Flagship Labs 63 is a creative, collaborative and highly dynamic platform company dedicated to leveraging emerging insights in RNA biology to develop a novel class of human therapeutics. In this unique role, you will be a founding member of our scientific innovation team generating and experimentally executing on actionable pioneering hypotheses to drive novel platform applications.
Company Summary and Mission:
Flagship Labs 63 was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise that conceives, resources and grows first-in-category life science companies. The firm’s institutional innovation foundry, Flagship Labs, is where teams of scientific entrepreneurs systematically evolve ideas and turn previously undiscovered areas of science into real-world ventures. Flagship has created over 100 scientific ventures resulting in >$19 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and >50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents. Flagship’s portfolio companies include Moderna, Rubius Therapeutics, and Indigo Agriculture.
We are looking for a candidate who is creative, scientifically bold, independent, goal-oriented, has excellent communication skills, is motivated to learn new skills and works collaboratively in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
The ideal candidate has a Ph.D. in molecular biology (or equivalent), an additional 3+ years of relevant experience, and a proven track-record of scientific excellence as evidenced by a strong publication and/or patent record. The candidate has a strong background in molecular and RNA biology with experience designing, performing and analyzing a wide array of cell & molecular biology assays and a demonstrated ability to generate innovative hypotheses in unexplored biological fields. The candidate’s career goals, technical skills, and core competencies should be aligned with the description below.
- Apply your scientific knowledge, critical thinking skills and creativity to generate and test hypotheses for novel applications of our platform in emerging fields of RNA biology.
- Design, execute, and interpret multiple experimental workflows with an emphasis on RNA-centric molecular and cellular techniques to test innovation team hypotheses.
- Thrive on rapid prototyping, strategic triage of ideas, and quickly translating new approaches in the literature into broadly impactful company assets.
- Develop and apply novel high-throughput methodologies to analyze nucleic acids, protein expression, and cell phenotypes (such as NGS-based methods)
- Recognize, integrate, and extend next-generation sequencing approaches to screen and address biological hypotheses.
- Continually cultivate scientific & technical expertise through critical review of the scientific literature, attending external conferences, and developing relationships with key opinion leaders.
- Work collaboratively with a cross-functional biology, technology, and chemistry team to contribute to the vision, strategy, and tactics of the organization.
- Very strong molecular and RNA biology background with extensive hands-on experience in cell-based and molecular biology assays
- Proven track record in novel RNA-centric method development or application, such as RNA-centric NGS methods (i.e. RNA-seq, Ribo-seq, eCLIP, scRNA-seq)
- Excellence in experimental design, execution and interpretation
- Demonstrated ability to approach complex problems with innovative solutions and generate actionable hypotheses
- Experience in high-throughput cell phenotype screening or other massively parallel assay formats
- Working knowledge in relevant statistical and bioinformatics methods to enable effective collaboration with computation biology team
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, capable of conveying technical information in a clear and thorough manner
- Strong collaborative skills with evidence of working in, and leading a team
- Knowledgeable across a breadth of scientific fields and experience with a broad range of methodologies, such as structure-function relationships in RNA or RNP complexes, or innovative RNA methodologies, e.g. Ribo-seq, RIP-seq, RNA chemical probing.
- Deep understanding of transcription, translation, and cell signaling
- Understanding of and experience in proteomics and protein mass spectrometry.
- Creativity & Innovation. Scientifically curious and bold. Generates new and creative approaches to problem solving. Positive ‘can-do’ attitude. Views the toughest challenges as the greatest opportunities for personal growth and company innovation. Able to challenge dogma.
- Teamwork. Fully engaged in facilitating personal and team success. Reaches out to peers and cooperates with the team to establish an overall collaborative work environment. Often solicits and responds well to constructive feedback. Possesses good written and oral communication skills with the ability to clearly and concisely convey ideas and opinions.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Adjusts quickly to changing strategic and tactical priorities. Comfortable with ambiguity. Self-starter mentality.
- Fast-acting/efficient. Moves quickly and proactively with a strong work ethic to produce high-quality results while fostering a positive work environment. Focuses on key priorities. Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Integrity. Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidences. Does what is right not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully. Follows-through on commitments. Expects a high level of personal performance and team performance.
- Critical thinking. Learns quickly. Demonstrates ability to proficiently understand new information and independently achieve meaningful outcomes. Able to structure and process qualitative/quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions.