Come join the Flagship Labs 63 scientific innovation team! Flagship Labs 63 is a creative, collaborative and highly dynamic platform company dedicated to leveraging emerging insights in RNA biology to develop a novel class of human therapeutics. In this unique role, you will be a founding member of our scientific innovation team that will discover and drive the next generation of our platform.
Company Summary and Mission:
Flagship Labs 63 was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise that conceives, resources and grows first-in-category life science companies. The firm’s institutional innovation foundry, Flagship Labs, is where teams of scientific entrepreneurs systematically evolve ideas and turn previously undiscovered areas of science into real-world ventures. Flagship has created over 100 scientific ventures resulting in >$19 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and >50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents. Flagship’s portfolio companies include Moderna, Rubius Therapeutics, and Indigo Agriculture.
We are looking for a candidate who is creative, scientifically bold, independent, goal-oriented, has excellent communication skills, is motivated to learn new skills and works collaboratively in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
The ideal computational biologist candidate has a Ph.D. in bioinformatics, computational biology, genomics, or related field, an additional 3+ years of relevant experience, and a proven track-record of scientific excellence as evidenced by a strong publication and/or patent record. The candidate has a strong background in human genetics and multi-omics data analysis, can use these data to support and generate testable hypotheses and models, has experience in both developing new methodologies and establishing bioinformatics pipelines, thrives in an interdisciplinary team environment and has demonstrated the ability to generate innovative hypotheses in unexplored biological fields. The candidate’s career goals, technical skills, and core competencies should be aligned with the description below.
- Apply your scientific knowledge, critical thinking skills and creativity to generate and test hypotheses for novel applications of our platform in emerging fields of RNA biology.
- Identify, internalize, and mine public and in-house NGS and proteomic datasets by developing novel NGS analysis methods or applying existing pipelines in new contexts.
- Integrate internal and external datasets to generate unique inferences for hypothesis generation and subsequent wet lab testing in an iterative fashion with a focus on target/disease selection, mechanism-of-action determination, and biomarker discovery.
- Thrive on rapid prototyping, strategic triage of ideas, and quickly translating new approaches in the literature into broadly impactful company assets.
- Build intuitive databases and interactive GUIs to promote data accessibility for exploration by the entire team.
- Create innovative data visualizations and communicate complex results to interdisciplinary audiences
- Be a champion for computational work documentation and reproducibility and continually cultivate scientific/technical expertise through critical review of the scientific literature, attending external conferences, and developing relationships with key opinion leaders.
- Work effectively with a cross-functional biology, technology, and chemistry team to contribute to the vision, strategy, and tactics of the organization.
- Proven track-record in identifying and integrating public domain and/or internally generated data sets (i.e. genetic, genomic, proteomic) to generate high-quality hypotheses and solve complex biological problems
- Deep understanding of statistical, algorithmic and database principles in data science with fluency in coding languages most relevant to biology & drug discovery (e.g. Python, SQL, R).
- Expertise in NGS data analysis (i.e. Illumina, Nanopore, single-cell) including execution of standard workflows and development of novel methods.
- Clear understanding of cloud-based computing environments with a focus on AWS.
- Demonstrated ability to approach complex problems with innovative solutions and generate actionable hypotheses
- Familiarity with coding standards and best practices with a commitment to reproducible computational research.
- Excellent data visualization and communication skills with the ability to explain complex concepts to a general scientific audience and drive decision-making
- Established track record in the RNA biology field and expertise in RNA-centric NGS methods including Ribo-seq, RIP-seq, eCLIP and RNA chemical probing (e.g. DMS-MaP-seq, SHAPE-MaP).
- Experience in discovery and targeted proteomics data analysis and visualization.
- Application of modern algorithmic approaches including machine learning, deep learning and AI to solve complex biological, chemistry and/or drug discovery problems.
- Experience developing web-based or stand-alone GUI programs for data visualization (i.e. Dash, Flask, RShiny, D3).
- Creativity & Innovation. Scientifically curious and bold. Generates new and creative approaches to problem solving. Positive ‘can-do’ attitude. Views the toughest challenges as the greatest opportunities for personal growth and company innovation. Able to challenge dogma.
- Teamwork. Fully engaged in facilitating personal and team success. Reaches out to peers and cooperates with the team to establish an overall collaborative work environment. Often solicits and responds well to constructive feedback. Possesses good written and oral communication skills with the ability to clearly and concisely convey ideas and opinions.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Adjusts quickly to changing strategic and tactical priorities. Comfortable with ambiguity. Self-starter mentality.
- Fast-acting/efficient. Moves quickly and proactively with a strong work ethic to produce high-quality results while fostering a positive work environment. Focuses on key priorities. Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Integrity. Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidences. Does what is right not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully. Follows-through on commitments. Expects a high level of personal performance and team performance.
- Critical thinking. Learns quickly. Demonstrates ability to proficiently understand new information and independently achieve meaningful outcomes. Able to structure and process qualitative/quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions.