Flagship Labs 63 Inc. (FL63) is a privately held, well-funded, early-stage platform biotechnology company that is leveraging emerging insights in RNA biology to develop a novel class of human therapeutics.
FL63 was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise that conceives, resources and grows first-in-category life science companies. The firm’s institutional innovation foundry, Flagship Labs, is where teams of scientific entrepreneurs systematically evolve ideas and turn previously undiscovered areas of science into real-world ventures. Flagship has created over 100 scientific ventures resulting in >$19 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and >50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents. Flagship’s portfolio companies include Moderna, Rubius Therapeutics, and Indigo Agriculture.
FL63 is a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial and innovation-driven organization seeking to hire an exceptional Lab Automation & Screening leader to join our growing team. A successful candidate will have a Ph.D/MS/BS. in the biological sciences or engineering, and a proven track-record of scientific excellence as evidenced by a strong publication and/or patent record. The candidate’s career goals, technical skills, and core competencies should be aligned with the description below.
- Conceive/execute foundational lab automation screening strategy in collaboration with the FL63 leadership team, including driving the selection of appropriate technologies to support the company’s mission.
- Recruit and develop a world-class lab automation team by hiring and developing top talent.
- Build capabilities for statistics-based assay development (DoE models), robotics and LIMS systems to support modern inventory management and wet lab automation of in vitro, cell-based and NGS assays.
- Generate reproducible data with appropriate documentation/reporting and collaborate effectively with Computational Biology team members for end-to-end automation of pipeline processes.
- Continually cultivate scientific/technical expertise through critical review of the scientific literature, attending external conferences, and developing relationships with key opinion leaders.
- Work effectively with a cross-functional biology, technology, and chemistry team to contribute to the vision, strategy, and tactics of the organization.
- Willing to work hands-on in the wet lab in the near term and recruit/develop a team in medium-to-long term.
- Proven track-record in establishing lab automation and screening platforms in a biotech/pharma environment.
- Expert knowledge in automation of cell-based assays including reporter gene and high content screening (HCS) assays.
- Hands on capabilities in programming/maintaining Biomek i5/i7 series robots and familiarity with a wide range of laboratory instrumentation.
- Exposure to Design of Experiments (DoE) models to accelerate assay development, with an emphasis on relevant software (e.g. JMP15) and instrumentation (e.g. Formulatrix Mantis/Tempest).
- Expertise in designing and implementing LIMS systems for inventory management.
- Established track record in team building, management and leadership.
- Strong scientific communication skills with the ability to clearly explain complex processes and data sets to drive decision-making.
- Working knowledge in automating in vitro and NGS assays (e.g. RNA-seq).
- Hands on experience working with complex biological models (e.g. iPSC-derived cells, organoids, 3D printing) for HTS applications.
- Exposure to the special requirements related to managing and screening RNA as a biology reagent and therapeutic modality.
- Ability to contribute to modern digital strategy framework with an emphasis on data production and management in collaboration with Comp Bio collaborators and leadership.
- Fast-acting/efficient. Moves quickly and proactively with a strong work ethic to produce high-quality results while fostering a positive work environment. Focuses on key priorities. Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Integrity. Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidences. Does what is right not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully. Follows-through on commitments. Expects a high level of personal performance and team performance.
- Critical thinking. Learns quickly. Demonstrates ability to proficiently understand new information and independently achieve meaningful outcomes. Able to structure and process quantitative data to draw insightful conclusions and solve complex problems.
- Creativity & Innovation. Generates new and creative approaches to problem solving. Positive ‘can-do’ attitude. Views the toughest challenges as the greatest opportunities for personal growth and company innovation.
- Teamwork. Fully engaged in facilitating personal and team success. Reaches out to peers and cooperates with the team to establish an overall collaborative work environment. Often solicits and responds well to constructive feedback. Possesses good written and oral communication skills with the ability to clearly and concisely convey ideas and opinions.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Adjusts quickly to changing strategic and tactical priorities. Comfortable with ambiguity.