Each day, the lives of more than 2 billion people across the globe are impacted by chronic diseases. Moreover, the economic burden on society of treating chronic disease is spinning out of control. Today, this dire situation appears unlikely to change as >95% of global healthcare costs are spent on treating rather than preventing chronic diseases. FL84, Inc. is a privately held early-stage company that is applying advanced biological and computational platforms to discover breakthroughs in detection of and intervention against the etiologies that drive progression from health to disease. Our goal is to leverage our proprietary platforms to disrupt the current approach of treating chronic disease too late. We endeavor to provide true health care rather than sick care to individuals that are at risk of progressing to disease.
FL84 was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise dedicated to originating and developing first-in-category life sciences companies. Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of nearly 100 scientific ventures resulting in $20+ billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents. Flagship-founded companies include Moderna Therapeutics, Rubius Therapeutics, Seres Therapeutics, Evelo Biosciences, and Indigo Agriculture.
FL84 is seeking a highly motivated and experienced cellular biologist to join our early-stage biotech company. The successful candidate will be a driven, experienced scientist who is enthusiastic about leveraging state-of-the-art approaches, such as iPSC-derived models and single-cell RNA sequencing to help drive experiments that will unlock key insights underlying disease progression. An ideal candidate will pride themselves on their ability to craft scientifically logical stories out of complex data and convert them into executable experiments. The position will provide a unique opportunity to play a foundational role in the development of FL84’s preclinical platform.
- Collaborate with FL84 scientific team to design and execute cell-based and molecular biology experiments to support key hypotheses
- Develop laboratory protocols and optimize workflow to build platform capabilities
- Troubleshoot / optimize preclinical assays as needed
- Maintain scientific and technical expertise through familiarity with scientific literature
- Coordinate with CROs and external collaborators to support advancement of projects
- Communicate results to rest of FL84 team and executive management
- PhD with 3+ years of experience in cell biology, molecular biology or related fields
- Deep knowledge of cell and molecular biology techniques
- Experience establishing and maintaining variety of mammalian cell cultures (including iPSCs)
- Hands-on experience designing, executing and optimizing robust cell-based assays
- Demonstrated ability to be a thoughtful contributor to experimental design and data analysis
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team-oriented, fast-paced environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Highly attentive to detail, flexible, and curious
- Background / familiarity with variety of fields including immunology and neurobiology
- Experience collaborating with computational biologists to design and optimize experiments
- Familiarity with single cell RNA sequencing library preparation, sequencing and data analysis
- Experience building and managing laboratory team