Flagship Labs 68, Inc. is a well-funded, early-stage biotechnology company founded by Flagship Pioneering that is primed to revolutionize cell therapeutics. Since early 2020, FL68 scientists have been characterizing a novel, but overlooked, cell behavior and built the foundation for exploiting this behavior for an entirely new type of cellular therapeutic. FL68 is currently hiring for several roles to rapidly expand on this early work and to pursue a multi-modality platform with the potential to generate cures across a diverse landscape of diseases. In the next 1-2 years, the company seeks to reduce this therapeutic model to practice, demonstrate usefulness across a range of applications, and complete pre-clinical proof-of-concept studies. We are seeking highly motivated and uniquely creative scientists to push our science to the next level and create truly novel medicines.
FL68 was founded in Flagship’s venture creation engine, where companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), and Editas Medicines (NASDAQ: EDIT) were conceived and created. Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
FL68 is seeking a Senior or Principal Scientist to join us as the founding member of our protein engineering team. This scientist will assemble our protein engineering group and drive development efforts to build and test novel proteins in collaboration with other company teams.
The ideal candidate will be able to independently drive the protein engineering portion of our platform. He or she will have extensive experience in protein engineering and rapid molecular cloning techniques. Based on a set of functional requirements, the scientist will design proteins, assemble expression constructs, and introduce them to cells to assess functions. After validating basic function in cells, he or she will conduct iterative modifications to optimize functions by measuring binding affinities, stability, and other biophysical properties. The position will involve management of multiple projects and team members in parallel. Intellectual contribution to new strategies will also be expected. The candidate will bring an entrepreneurial spirit, design experimental plans independently, communicate regularly with leadership, and be comfortable working in, and contributing to, a very dynamic and cross-functional team.
- In silico protein design and building of expression constructs. In-depth knowledge of key building blocks of plasmids for mammalian expression is required.
- Rapid, parallel assembly of mammalian expression constructs using gene assembly techniques and restriction cloning
- Establish stable cell lines expressing the synthetic proteins
- Iterate on designs to optimize protein function
- Build standard operating procedures for the above processes
- Contribute to scientific strategy and communicate regularly with management
- Ph.D. with 3+ years of postdoctoral or industrial experience in protein engineering
- Experience with design of antibodies, chimeric antigen receptors, or other multi-domain fusion proteins is preferred
- Extensive experience in high-throughput molecular cloning including restriction enzyme-based cloning and gene assembly (eg. Gibson, Hifi Assembly, or in-fusion)
- Expertise in mammalian cell culture, including transduction, growth, and simple assays
- Expertise in protein purification and analytical methods (eg. Chromatography, SPR)
- Experience with flow cytometry is preferred
- Experience with microscopy, particularly live cell culture imagine, is preferred
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to adapt and thrive in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary environment
More About Flagship Pioneering
We are creative optimists and we would love for you to consider joining our team! See all our open opportunities across Flagship Pioneering’s Ecosystem!
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship is backed by more than $4.4 billion of aggregate capital commitments, of which over $1.9 billion has been deployed toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $10 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including: Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics, Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SYRS).
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.