Generate Biomedicines, Inc. is a Flagship backed, privately-held biotechnology company on a mission to reimagine the drug discovery process to one of dynamic, data-driven generation. We pursue this audacious vision because we believe in the unique and revolutionary power of generative biology to radically transform the lives of billions, with an outsized opportunity for patients in need. Generate will be successful by constantly turning innovative ideas into methods, technologies, and products that solve some of the most difficult challenges with developing medicines. We are seeking collaborative, relentless problem solvers that share our passion for impact to join us!
Generate was founded by Flagship Pioneering. Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including: Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics, Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SYRS).
Generate Biomedicines is looking for an individual to be a part of a growing protein sciences department that is leveraging automated high-throughput platforms in multiple areas of protein production and characterization workflows. The individual will contribute to workflows that include protein expression, purification and characterization of a variety of protein modalities, at variable scales ranging from 96 well plate based 1 mL cultures to 1-2 L in shake flasks. They will work collaboratively with the team in developing, optimizing, and executing state-of-the-art methodologies in these areas, leveraging equipment including liquid handling robots like the Hamilton Start, FPLC systems like AKTA Pure, Agilent HPLC systems as well as some HTP protein characterization instrumentation including Lunatic, Uncle, GXII among others. They will be responsible for, bringing onboard new technologies, optimizing throughput, training and mentoring junior members of the team, designing experiments and communicating findings cross-functionally, maintaining detailed records, and generating standard operating procedures. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a fast-paced, start-up environment!
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Execution and optimization of high-throughput automated protein expression and purification workflows using liquid handling robots and Cytiva AKTA systems.
- Protein quality control and biophysical characterization methodologies to assess purity, stability, non-specificity, etc. of proteins, employing a variety of analytical equipment such as HPLC, Uncle, GX II.
- Serve as a Protein Science representative on Program teams and participate in weekly meetings, data communication, presentation, and cross-functional collaboration
- Detailed documentation of data as well as writing SOPs
- Technical Experience with:
- Operation of liquid handling robots, HPLCs and FPLCs
- Molecular biology methodologies involved in DNA workflows (eg: cloning)
- Protein characterization methodologies (eg: HPLC-based chromatographic methods for purity, hydrophobicity and charged variants assessments, DSC/DSF thermostability based methods, purity methods using CE based equipment, etc)
- Large scale protein purification chromatography-based methods
- Protein developability assessments using biophysical characterization methodologies
- Deep understanding of:
- Protein characterization
- Protein purification
- Excellent attention to detail, documentation, and communication skills
- Mentorship and management of junior personnel
Education Experience: B.S, MS, or PhD. Industry Experience strongly preferred.
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.