Ring Therapeutics Inc. is a privately held, early-stage biotechnology company pioneering a completely novel form of gene therapy by exploiting a family of naturally occurring commensal viruses to create the first re-dosable and targetable DNA medicines. This approach enables a powerful new class of tropic, persistent, non-integrating vectors that overcome the immunogenicity, and limited tropism of existing gene therapy vectors. Ring Therapeutics is leveraging this versatile technology to develop a broad pipeline of novel, targeted medicines for disease with high unmet medical need.
Ring Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, focused on launching breakthrough companies based on internally conceived innovations and insights. Flagship Pioneering has created over 40 groundbreaking companies over the past fifteen years, all of which are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Moderna (MRNA), Seres Therapeutics (MCRB), Syros Pharmaceuticals (SYRS), Rubius Therapeutics (RUBY), Axcella Health, Evelo Biosciences (EVLO), and Indigo Agriculture.
Ring Therapeutics is seeking a director-level scientist to join the Platform and Biology function to help develop new DNA medicine technologies. The successful candidate will oversee a diverse, multidisciplinary team of scientists and research associates dedicated to the development of gene therapy vectors and their characterization. Activities within the team include virology, viral vectors development, viral immunology, synthetic biology, as well as molecular and cell biology. The successful candidate will also collaborate closely with our structural biology team. This position is for a seasoned research scientist and scientific manager with the ability to operate at multiple levels and across multiple different fields.
The successful candidate will supervise the design, execution, and analysis of experiments, and communicate results internally and externally. The role will also interface with external parties in industry and academia to accelerate the development effort. This will be a great opportunity to participate in cutting-edge virology, viral genome engineering, and synthetic biology. We are searching for enthusiastic and highly motivated individuals who are comfortable multitasking and working both within a team and independently on various aspects of technology platform and drug candidate development.
- Oversee viral vectors research in the Platform and Biology function, in collaboration with the structural biology team
- Study the molecular virology of novel viruses; build and characterize novel gene therapy vectors
- Supervise a diverse and multidisciplinary team of scientists and research associates supporting key research objectives
- Ensure compliance with safety-related regulations, and with good research practices
- Ph.D. in the life sciences
- Over 12 years of experience in industry life science R&D, with a solid record of publications and inventions
- At least 5 years of experience managing Ph.D.-level researchers
- Experience with
- Virology research, including viral vectors, for gene therapy or vaccination is essential
- Hands-on molecular biology, immunology, and virology techniques is essential
- Demonstrated ability to manage and work with teams of highly skilled scientists and research associates in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and technical environment
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, capable of conveying technical information in a clear and thorough manner
- Comfortable delivering against challenging commitments
- Confident, execution-focused, team-oriented, with an ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment