Flagship Pioneering has launched a privately held, biotechnology company that is pioneering novel diagnostics for cancer. This new company (FL67) is a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial, and innovation-driven organization seeking to hire a Director of Software Engineering to join our team.
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and grows first-in-category life sciences companies. Since 2000, Flagship has created over 75 groundbreaking companies that are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:SYRS), Axcella Health, Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), and Indigo Agriculture.
The Head of Software Engineering will design, implement and operate FL67’s data management and software systems to support scientific discovery and clinical product development. The successful candidate will be responsible for designing, developing, deploying, and maintaining the software underlying research and operations in close collaboration with the senior leadership at FL67. The candidate will also have to work closely with the operations and quality team to deploy systems and custom applications that support CLIA/CAP certification and other regulatory requirements for diagnostic tests. In addition, this role will collaborate closely with the Flagship Pioneering Digital team to plan, execute, and grow digital capabilities at FL67.
- Partner with the scientific and executive leadership teams to define the software project roadmap; define resourcing strategies, budget requests and timelines
- Collaborate with scientific and computational stakeholders to design foundational data modelling and management standards
- Design, build, acquire and manage technology solutions to support diverse business needs
- Establish and build robust data systems to support compliant and secure storage of clinical patient data
- Identify, deploy, and maintain appropriate LIMS solution for the workflow
- Collaborate with the automation lead to identify appropriate application/solutions to deploy automated solutions for high throughput R&D and CLIA lab sample processing
- Work with the scientific staff to identify appropriate lab-related and data management and analysis solutions are in place to accelerate discovery and to support the needs of data scientists
- Codevelop the data architecture required for patient and assay data; identify and deploy appropriate data compression strategies; develop applications that allow successful retrieval of data by the data science teams
- Ensure that the overall digital strategy is enabling an operational strategic advantage for the company
- Manage relationships with digital partners, vendors and consultants
Key qualifications & experiences
- 10+ years of software engineering with a focus on solutions architecture, LIMs software, project and vendor management, process development and systems engineering
- In-depth knowledge of engineering approaches to enable large-scale clinical, lab and NGS data processing, tracking and analysis
- Experience with designing and building distributed, modular cloud-based solutions (preferably AWS)
- Excellent Agile project management skills
- Experience engaging with stakeholders from end user to executive level
- Relational and NoSQL databases
- Git, DevOps, CI/CD
- Microservices, API integration
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.