What if…you could join an organization that creates, resources, and builds life sciences companies that invent breakthrough technologies in order to transform health care and sustainability?
Flagship Labs 80 (FL80) is an early-stage biotechnology company with an ambitious and exciting mission: to reimagine drug discovery and vaccine design through the integration of computational and experimental innovation. The company is developing a revolutionary approach to this challenge and recruiting a team of top-tier scientists to build what it believes will be a powerful, first-in-category R&D platform.
FL80 is a product of Flagship Pioneering’s venture creation engine, which has also given rise to companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), and Editas Medicines (NASDAQ: EDIT). Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
We are seeking a Scientist or Senior Scientist with strong experience in protein sciences to design and build innovative assays and perform a range of experiments focused on the development of novel health interventions. The ideal candidate will have a track record of success in inventing and deploying sophisticated new tools for high-volume, high-speed discovery, and deriving unique insights from biological data – particularly as regards protein-protein or protein-hapten interactions and immune system function. Experience in phage biopanning and/or yeast display is a strong plus. An essential element of the role will be the ability to collaborate closely with other R&D scientists while adapting to and interpreting new experimental findings and providing experimental guidance in keeping with the company’s objectives.
- Work closely with other molecular biologists and computational scientists within and beyond FL80 to design innovative, proprietary assays and perform critical data-generating experiments
- Build an infrastructure of laboratory protocols, tools and systems to enable focused and rapid discovery and early pipeline development
- Apply rigorous methods to interpret emerging data in the context of key scientific questions
- Identify relevant external findings, tools and datasets, and build on these as necessary to support company objectives
- Communicate insights and conclusions to the scientific team and executive management
- Develop relationships with Flagship Pioneering’s broader science community and manage external consultants as needed
- Ph.D. or equivalent in molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry, or a related field of biological science
- Extensive experience with antibody expression and purification
- Experience with ELISA assay development
- Extensive cloning experience
- Experience with mammalian and/or yeast cell culture
- Demonstrated post-PhD experience developing and using innovative assays and tools for biological discovery and to solve biological challenges
- Experience with antibody or peptide biopanning
- Experience with directed mutagenesis and mutational scanning
- Experience analyzing protein structure
- Experience in immunology, virology and/or vaccine design
- Familiarity with biological data repositories and public data resources
Values and Behaviors
Flagship is an experiment in institutional, entrepreneurial, innovation practiced in the context of a small company with an insurgent mindset. We are seeking individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit, strong communication skills, and comfort working in and contributing to a dynamic and cross-functional team environment. The level of the role will be commensurate with the education and years of experience of the identified candidate.