Toran Therapeutics is a privately held, early stage biotechnology company creating an unprecedented drug discovery platform around transporter proteins to discover novel therapeutics. As the molecular gateways of our bodies, transporters are responsible for the flux of all biomolecules into and out of all cells and organelles. As a generally untapped but druggable class of proteins, transporters have been ignored because they are notoriously difficult to work with. Toran is developing novel biological and technological solutions for transporter biology to treat a broad range of diseases.
Toran Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an institute dedicated to the origination and development of first-in-category life sciences companies. Since 2000, Flagship has originated and fostered the development of nearly 100 scientific ventures resulting in $20+ billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
We are seeking a highly motivated scientist or biological engineer with experience in expression, purification, and characterization of proteins. S/he will join an interdisciplinary team to implement and execute new and existing methods for protein biochemistry efforts. We are looking for an enthusiastic, detail-oriented scientist with a passion for mastering protein biochemistry and analytical techniques to bring novel medicines to patients. S/he will be comfortable balancing multiple projects and enjoy working in a pioneering, fast-paced, and collaborative start-up environment, with the opportunity to make a large impact to advance Toran’s mission.
- Execute experiments to express, purify, and characterize proteins to support drug discovery
- Independently execute analytical techniques and assays for multiple programs simultaneously
- Work with senior researcher(s) to execute and troubleshoot existing methods, and evaluate and implement new methods
- Advocate for innovation and application; learn and implement new experimental techniques and approaches that can answer critical scientific questions
- Communicate ideas and results to internal and external parties in verbal, written, and presentation formats, when appropriate
- Contribute meaningfully to building a world-class transporter platform at the forefront of scientific innovation
- B.S. (with 2+ years’ experience), or M.S. in biochemistry, analytical science, or related fields, with an emphasis on protein expression, purification, and analytical characterization
- Demonstrated experience with analytical protein techniques such as SDS-PAGE, Western blot, and chromatography-based techniques such as SEC
- Demonstrated experience with biochemical assay execution for protein characterization
- Experience with cloning, expression, and purification of proteins is preferred; experience with membrane proteins is a plus
- Experience with mammalian cell culture and sterile technique is preferred
- Strong ability to analyze and communicate complex data sets and science in a clear and concise manner through written or oral communications
- Instinctive team player with excellent interpersonal skills and great attention to detail