What if…you could join an organization that creates, resources, and builds life sciences companies that invent breakthrough technologies in order to transform health care and sustainability?
Flagship Pioneering’s venture creation engine, Flagship Labs, is where companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), and Editas Medicines (NASDAQ: EDIT) were conceived and created. Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
Flagship’s Digital Ecosystem:
Flagship is driving innovations in how it manages and supports its growing portfolio of companies, including the development of a new cross-portfolio Digital and Data team. Flagship believes that the sophisticated use of modern digital and data technologies is a strategic differentiator for companies, with the potential to significantly alter their productivity, market position and long-term success.
The Flagship Ecosystem presents a compelling opportunity for impact-focused technology professionals for a number of reasons:
- Flagship’s companies create medicines that save and improve the lives of patients. Moreover, the companies in the Flagship network have the potential to dramatically change disease treatment, healthcare, and sustainable agriculture on a global scale.
- The Flagship network is composed of new and growing companies with widely varying needs that span all aspects of technology, presenting incredible opportunities for learning and development.
- Flagship creates new, cloud-centric companies that operate without the burden of legacy systems or technical debt. Individuals that understand the technical opportunities and challenges in company growth will have the opportunity to influence and shape the trajectory of dozens of companies, with broad impact.
To deliver on this mission, Flagship seeks individuals who have a proven track record of solving enterprise-scale challenges while thriving in a dynamic startup culture.
In this unique and exciting role, you’ll operate across our portfolio of companies, directly engaging with scientists, founders and partners in a consultative and advisory capacity. You will help new companies get started with strong data management practices and help growing companies manage the challenges associated with increasing volumes and variety of data. You’ll advise on how to make best use of existing systems, make data flow seamlessly and create custom, cloud-based solutions when needed.
The ideal candidate will have a background working with life science organizations, experience with a variety of scientific data types and expertise in cloud computing. It’s also essential to be a strong data modeler and coder, with an exceptional ability to deliver near-term value while helping companies plan for the future.
This position will be part of the Flagship Digital team, reporting to the Vice President of Data & Systems Engineering.
Flagship is an experiment in institutional, entrepreneurial, innovation practiced in the context of a small company with an insurgent mindset. We are seeking individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit, strong communication skills, and comfort working in and contributing to a dynamic and cross-functional team environment. The level of the role will be commensurate with the education and years of experience of the identified candidate.
- Perform data-centric business analysis and provide solutions across the portfolio
- Automate data flow between data producers (e.g. lab instruments, CROs, etc) and cloud
- Drive consensus, define and implement standards around scientific research metadata
- Become an expert consultant on the most common ELN, LIMS and data management tools used by our companies
- Support portfolio companies on the pragmatic application of FAIR principles
- Provide expert guidance on various data repository types (e.g. databases & data lakes) as well as their trade-offs, costs and resource requirements
- Contribute to digital solutions that support cross-company scientific collaborations
- May lead small teams of consultants to deliver solutions
- BS, MS or PhD degree in bioinformatics, computational biology or closely related field
- 5+ years experience building data solutions in the life sciences for various data types, e.g. *omics, imaging, etc
- Expertise with a variety of data repository technologies, including RDBMS and warehouses, NoSQL, data lakes, etc
- In-depth knowledge of public life science datasets (e.g. GTEx, TCGA, UKBB, etc) and best practices for their use
- Proficiency with AWS, python, database development, IaC and DevOps best practices
- Experience using, modeling and integrating modern research-support systems, including ELN, LIMS, etc. Benchling experience preferred
- Familiarity with the specialized needs of data science and ML teams
- Goal-oriented and organized with excellent project management skills
- A people person with an exceptional ability to collaborate with scientists of different backgrounds
More About Flagship Pioneering
We are creative optimists and we would love for you to consider joining our team! See all our open opportunities across Flagship Pioneering’s Ecosystem!
We believe pioneering is best done by teams, and that it is a process that can be taught, learned, and replicated. Learn more about our Company Creation Model.
Can Breakthrough Innovations Be Made Systematically? A Conversation With Noubar Afeyan, Flagship Pioneering’s CEO.