Flagship Pioneering is launching FL67, a privately held, well-funded, early-stage biotechnology company that is pioneering the control of epigenetic mechanisms in cancer.
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and grows first-in-category life sciences companies. Since 2000, Flagship has created over 75 groundbreaking companies that are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:SYRS), Axcella Health, Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), and Indigo Agriculture.
This new Flagship Labs venture is a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial, and innovation-driven organization seeking to hire an exceptional Scientist to join our team.
The Director of Technical Assay Development and Innovation will lead scientific teams, conducting research and analyzing results, including training new team members, carrying out performance reviews of team members, and acting as a general expert and source of knowledge in assay development and innovation. The Director must be analytically minded, with a strong commitment to the scientific process, sound research methodology, and have a clear understanding of the impact assay development and innovation has on other aspects of a diagnostic process. He/She must be a capable decision-maker and communicator as they guide their own research as well as the efforts of the Tech Assay Development and Innovation Team. The Director of Tech Assay Development and Innovation must also have detailed knowledge of the process of developing diagnostic assays and the relevant technology (e.g. PCR, NGS, Targeted Enrichment) and equipment utilized to improve diagnostic performance by optimizing existing procedures or by combining analytical procedures in a novel manner.
- Lead a team of scientists by laying out priorities and specific objectives associated with projects targeting technical improvements resulting in product specific improvements in performance.
- Oversee project timelines and assure that good scientific quantitative and qualitative experimentation is carried out across all projects within the group, including appropriate and sufficient validations are performed prior to technical transfer to other departments.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other departmental scientists to assure a smooth and coordinated integration of novel technologies or procedures.
- Monitor staff performance and conduct annual performance reviews on direct reports.
- Review and approve written documentation on experimental objectives, plans, results, and conclusions for intra-group projects for appropriate use in technical transfer for clinical and regulatory use.
- Advanced degree required: PhD in Biomolecular Engineering or equivalent with >5 years commercial experience in developing technologies associated with molecular diagnostic procedures, preferably NGS associated technologies, or MS with >10 yrs. experience in commercial diagnostics and molecular diagnostic assay development.
- Experience in molecular diagnostics technology platform, precision medicine and next generation sequencing
- Demonstrated capability to trouble shoot or optimize individual analytical procedures while understanding the impact and dependence of multiple analytical procedures within a diagnostic process.
- Strong scientific curiosity to innovate by developing, re-engineering or combining existing analytical procedures resulting in improved performance and outcomes relative to specific product applications while retaining the discipline associated with clinical diagnostic technologies and processes.