What if…you could join an organization that creates, resources, and builds life sciences companies that invent breakthrough technologies in order to transform health care and sustainability?
Flagship Pioneering has a new and exciting opportunity for a Corporate Attorney to join our legal team. You will join a fast-paced, dynamic group that concentrates on financing and governance matters for cutting-edge high growth companies in the Flagship Enterprise. This includes working with our private and public companies on a range of transactions and corporate matters, including strategic financing transactions, capital markets transactions, M&A transactions and general corporate governance.
We are seeking a high-energy, self-motivated individual to join our team as an experienced corporate attorney, working on all aspects of financing and corporate governance matters with our over 40 private and public companies. In this role, the Corporate Attorney may draft term sheets and financing documents, negotiate investment terms, review lock-up agreements, prepare board and stockholder consents, review registration statements and/or provide guidance to Flagship’s internal finance team or portfolio company management teams regarding corporate governance matters and best practices. The Legal Counsel will also assist in compliance matters, as well as standardizing processes and maintaining forms for the legal group, such as form investment documents, lock-up agreements, investor side letters, standard investment terms, etc.
The successful candidate will have deep experience in corporate transactional matters and corporate governance, which may include private equity, venture capital, capital markets and/or M&A experience. Preference for experience in life sciences industry and some capital markets experience. In this role, the Corporate Attorney may interact with senior level executives at portfolio companies and senior members of Flagship’s finance and origination teams. This is a high-volume legal group and the right candidate will have the opportunity to tailor this role to their specific expertise and skillset.
- The candidate will manage teams of external counsel to drive a high volume of deals to closure on compressed timeframes, and must have high attention to detail.
- The person will be expected to develop strong working relationships with internal stakeholders, as well as external counsel and management teams at our companies.
- Must be comfortable working in an entrepreneurial and fast-paced environment, and with constant change.
- This candidate will deliver excellent results on compressed timeframes, and must be comfortable managing a high-volume of competing demands, which often arise outside of customary business hours.
- The right candidate will have extensive experience, and be comfortable with, independently driving deals to closure and managing others to meet mandated timelines.
- This individual will join a dedicated team with highly specialized and deep industry experience.
- Highly qualified candidates must have general experience both working in teams and in managing substantial components of transactions independently, along with outstanding academic credentials, comparable law firm experience, and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Candidates should also have Massachusetts bar admission (or eligibility to obtain admission promptly).
Experience and Substantive Background:
- A minimum of 3-8 years of relevant experience, preferably with at least 3-4 years spent in the corporate department of a nationally recognized law firm.
- Strong understanding of equity financing, capital markets and corporate governance is required.
- In-house experience at a venture capital/private equity firm, or life sciences company preferred.
- JD degree required, and admission to practice (or eligible to seek admission to practice) in Massachusetts.
Other Key Capabilities:
- The successful candidate will have extensive client contact experience and must possess the highest caliber of professionalism and client management skills.
- You must be effective in understanding strategic goals, prioritizing key issues, and finding pragmatic solutions to these issues for a wide range of transactions.
- Sophisticated communication skills and the comfort and confidence to interact directly with senior management at biotech companies and managing partners at venture capital and private equity firms are crucial.
- The ability to prioritize and manage multiple tight deadlines in a frequently high-paced environment is necessary to achieve the productivity demanded by our model.
More About Flagship Pioneering
We are creative optimists and we would love for you to consider joining our team! See all our open opportunities across Flagship Pioneering’s Ecosystem!
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship is backed by more than $4.4 billion of aggregate capital commitments, of which over $1.9 billion has been deployed toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $10 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including: Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics, Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SYRS).
We believe pioneering is best done by teams, and that it is a process that can be taught, learned, and replicated. Learn more about our Company Creation Model.
Can Breakthrough Innovations Be Made Systematically? A Conversation With Noubar Afeyan, Flagship Pioneering’s CEO.
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.