Tessera Therapeutics is an early-stage life sciences company pioneering Gene Writing, a new biotechnology designed to offer scientists and clinicians the ability to write small and large therapeutic messages into the genome, thereby curing diseases at their source. Gene Writing holds the potential to become a new category in genetic medicine, building upon recent breakthroughs in gene therapy and gene editing while eliminating important limitations in their reach, utilization, and efficacy. Tessera Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, a life sciences innovation enterprise that conceives, resources, and develops first-in-category companies to transform human health and sustainability.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, detail-oriented, and highly motivated person to build and lead our software and data engineering team. This team will help advance our scientific mission by designing, developing and supporting both our scientific software environment and our cloud based infrastructure for data collection, integration and analysis. They will join the Quantative Biology team and interact with computational biologists, automation engineers, and our scientific platform teams to enable the discovery and development of novel gene therapy agents. The individual will serve as the lead designer and implementer of data and software solutions and expose the company to innovative technologies and systems that will help it achieve its goals. This is a unique opportunity to build and lead an integrated software and data engineering team in a cutting edge gene therapy company.
As a key member of the scientific team, this lead will:
- Build and lead a 3+ person software and data engineering team, including recruiting and development of junior staff
- Architect, develop or buy, deploy and support a wholistic software and data system that supports complex genomic data, including high throughput sequencing data from multiple platforms
- Design, implement and support a comprehensive, cloud-based data management infrastructure that enables the strategic scientific goals of the organization
- Design, develop or buy, deploy and support software for our small, medium and high throughput lab automation systems
- Rapidly create targeted solutions to critical problems
- Integrate commercial, open source and purpose-built components
- Integrate data from a variety of internal and external sources
- Build strong relationships across quantitative biology and wet bench science
- Manage any necessary license agreements, maintenance and support contracts, and any managed service relationships for the team
- Provide technical leadership and engineering for software development projects on diverse platforms
- Nucleate our automation engineering capability
- Serve as part of the broader leadership team in setting goals, strategy, budgets, and evaluating project
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Data Science or other related discipline
- Minimum 10+ years of experience in research informatics, supporting at least one of the core drug discovery scientific disciplines (chemistry, biology, and/or clinical).
- Demonstrated experience architecting and implementing a data focused infrastructure from the ground up.
- Demonstrated experience managing cloud-based software solutions, including electronic laboratory notebooks, laboratory information management solutions, and high-performance computing.
- Demonstrated impact designing and implementing scientific information systems in a drug or target discovery setting.
- History of independently solving difficult problems, troubleshooting common research informatics problems, and proposing solutions related to informatics
- Experience working with external engineering vendors
- History of successfully working in a cross-functional environment
- Experience working in a fast paced and rapidly growing organization
- Expertise in problem decomposition and solution delivery using modern SDLC methodologies
- Proficient with cloud development (AWS preferred)
- Results oriented: A willingness to use the right technique for the experiment, even if it’s an unfamiliar one.
- Communication: outstanding written and verbal communication skills, ability to work well with colleagues from diverse scientific backgrounds and cultures.
- Experience establishing DevOps foundation for software development including, source control systems, infrastructure as code standards, secure code practices, etc
- Experience with laboratory automation systems and experimental workflow development
- Practical knowledge of high-throughput biological processes, screening or profiling
- Experience with next generation sequencing (NGS) data management
- Experience with metadata management including controlled vocabulary/ontology utilization
More About Flagship Pioneering
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has, through its Flagship Labs unit, applied its unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $50B in aggregate value. To date, Flagship has deployed over $2.2B in capital toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $18B of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics (NASDAQ: FHTX), Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Sigilon Therapeutics (NASDAQ: SGTX).