Tessera Therapeutics is an early-stage life sciences company pioneering Gene Writing, a new biotechnology designed to offer scientists and clinicians the ability to write small and large therapeutic messages into the genome, thereby curing diseases at their source. Gene Writing holds the potential to become a new category in genetic medicine, building upon recent breakthroughs in gene therapy and gene editing while eliminating important limitations in their reach, utilization, and efficacy. Tessera Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, a life sciences innovation enterprise that conceives, resources, and develops first-in-category companies to transform human health and sustainability.
Tessera is seeking a Data Scientist with extensive Machine Learning (ML) expertise to join our expanding Computational Biology team. We are searching for a driven, enthusiastic and self-motivated individual who is comfortable multitasking and working independently on various aspects of the platform. This individual will join a dynamic, rapidly growing, and highly collaborative team. The position requires a strong technical background in machine learning and computational biology with an emphasis on utilizing and developing novel methods for understanding large scale genomics data and optimizing a design, test, learn discovery process. This individual will contribute scientific, technical, and leadership expertise to a multidisciplinary team, emphasizing conceptualization, experimentation, data analysis, presentation, and strategic planning.
- The successful candidate will work both independently and as part of a collaborative team to develop data analysis and machine learning solutions to understand and interpret multi-platform profiling data
- Design and implement new analytical approaches to model biomolecular activity based on internal and external data sources
- Process, analyze, and interpret data for a wide variety of biological and clinically relevant projects to generate statistically motivated research hypotheses.
- Establish a strong foundation for machine learning capabilities and provide company-wide expertise
- Drive external collaborations where necessary to augment internal capabilities.
- Collaborate closely with experimental scientists to ensure that data is effectively utilized for high level impact.
- PhD in Computer Science, Computational Biology, Mathematics or related field with 5 years of industry experience is required.
- Demonstrated experience applying modern machine learning techniques to understanding large scale genomics and high throughput data analysis.
- Strong proficiency in programming and scripting languages (Python, R, C) and experience with ML frameworks such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, Scikit-learn.
- Strong scientific understanding of molecular biology and genomics.
- History of successfully working in a cross-functional organization.
- Experience working in a fast paced and rapidly growing organization.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, ability to work with colleagues from diverse scientific backgrounds and cultures.
- Proficiency in operating in a cloud environment (AWS preferred)
- Foundational understanding of evolutionary biology or protein structure biology.
- Experience with recent advances in gene therapy and development of gene editing platforms as therapeutics
- Experience with explainable ML a plus
- Familiarity with ML approaches to process optimization a plus
More About Flagship Pioneering
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has, through its Flagship Labs unit, applied its unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $50B in aggregate value. To date, Flagship has deployed over $2.2B in capital toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $18B of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics (NASDAQ: FHTX), Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Sigilon Therapeutics (NASDAQ: SGTX).