Flagship Pioneering, a leading life sciences firm based in Boston, conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, Flagship has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship is backed by more than $4.4 billion of aggregate capital commitments, of which over $1.9 billion has been deployed toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $10 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including: Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics, Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SYRS). In March of 2020, Flagship closed a $1.1 billion capital raise for its seventh Origination Fund to support the creation of additional groundbreaking companies originated and operating within its Flagship Labs unit.
Originated in Flagship Labs, Flagship Pioneering’s venture creation engine, LARONDE was founded on the notion that circular RNA is an unexplored and unappreciated component of biology. The Company is pioneering a novel, multi-product therapeutic platform exploiting the properties of naturally occurring circular RNAs to create the first persistent, re-dosable, and non-integrating RNA medicines, Endless RNA (eRNA). LARONDE has engineered catalytic, modular, eRNAs to control human biology by binding to and inhibiting or activating other proteins and RNA molecules in the cell. LARONDE is developing eRNA as a novel nucleic acid therapy with diverse therapeutic applications.
LARONDE is pioneering the development of eRNA medicines, addressing currently undruggable targets and offering more persistent, re-dosable, and non-integrating alternatives to current DNA, RNA, and protein therapeutics. The structural properties of eRNA prevent its degradation by exonucleases and allow it to evade the innate RNA response. By engineering eRNAs to sequester, degrade, localize, terminate, splice, transcribe, scaffold, or translate nucleic acids or proteins in a cell, LARONDE has developed eRNAs as a novel nucleic acid therapy with diverse applications.
LARONDE demonstrated that engineered eRNAs can modulate biology for more than 30 days and be redosed repeatedly in animal models. LARONDE is expanding the platform to multiple therapeutic areas and enabling a fast path to the clinic. LARONDE aims to become the company that defines and leads the next generation of nucleic acid therapeutics by establishing a multi-modality platform with a robust pipeline of multiple billion-dollar drugs for gene replacement rare diseases, chronic conditions requiring frequent dosing of hormones and cytokines, chronic metabolic diseases, peptide therapies, protein degraders, gene editing, skin conditions requiring intradermal delivery, vaccines, and beyond.
The Head of Research and Preclinical Informatics will lead the design, implementation and operation of LARONDE’s digital strategy and systems for preclinical manufacturing and scientific discovery.
This role will report to the CEO of LARONDE. The successful candidate will be responsible for codeveloping the vision of digital in research and manufacturing in close collaboration with the Chief Technology Officer (CTO), the Chief Scientific Officer (CSO), and the EVP of manufacturing. In LARONDE, the CTO is responsible for the scientific direction and delivery of the scientific platform, and the CSO is responsible for discovery and therapeutic areas. In addition, this role will collaborate closely with the Flagship Pioneering Digital team to plan, execute, and grow digital capabilities in LARONDE.
- Preclinical Manufacturing and Research:
- Partner with the CEO, CSO, CTO, and EVP of manufacturing to design, deploy, and maintain digital solutions to support their needs
- Collaborate with the automation lead to identify appropriate application/solutions to deploy automated solutions for preclinical manufacturing
- Collaborate with the scientific staff to identify appropriate lab-related and data management and analysis solutions are in place to accelerate discovery and to support the needs of data scientists
- Ensure that the overall digital strategy for Preclinical Manufacturing and Research is enabling an operational strategic advantage for LARONDE
- Digital Implementation and Operations:
- Build and lead a digital team, including internal and external capabilities, covering application engineering, project delivery, system operations, IT support and cyber security
- Design, integrate, manage, evolve and support the informatics ecosystem, including custom-built and acquired systems, the systems architecture, the data architecture, master data management, and overall integration
- Carry out training, education, and awareness of applications/systems and work actively with research and manufacturing leads to drive adoption
- Ensure that the IT needs and infrastructure of the company are met and managed appropriately
- Oversee and implement LARONDE’s cyber security program
- Manage vendor relationships for commercial research software and handle renewals, license procurement, cost savings, and user issues
Flagship Pioneering is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.