Ring Therapeutics Inc. is a privately held, early-stage biotechnology company pioneering a completely novel form of gene therapy by exploiting a family of naturally occurring commensal viruses to create the first redosable and targetable DNA medicines. This approach enables a powerful new class of tropic, persistent, non-integrating vectors that overcome the immunogenicity, and limited tropism of existing gene therapy vectors. Ring Therapeutics is leveraging this versatile technology to develop a broad pipeline of novel, targeted medicines for disease with high unmet medical need.
Ring Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, focused on launching breakthrough companies based on internally conceived innovations and insights. Flagship Pioneering has created over 40 groundbreaking companies over the past fifteen years, all of which are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ:MCRB), Moderna (MRNA), Syros Pharmaceuticals (SYRS), Rubius Therapeutics (RUBY), Axcella Health (AXLA), Evelo Biosciences (EVLO), and Indigo Agriculture.
Ring is seeking a Scientist in Downstream Process Development to join our Technical Operations team to establish and develop analytical methods and stable formulations for our platform. The candidate will work directly with a team of scientists to characterize the novel viral platform and develop and optimize downstream unit operations. The candidate will be involved in experimental design, hands-on manipulation of viruses, and analysis of a variety of generated data sets. The candidate will interface with equipment companies, research institutes/universities, and contract manufacturing organizations as required to accelerate the development effort. This will be a great opportunity to be exposed to aspects of viral biology as well as process development in a translational context. We are searching for enthusiastic and highly motivated individuals who are comfortable multitasking and working independently on various aspects of the gene therapy production platform
- Designs, optimizes and characterizes viral vector isolation and purification processes. Defines purification procedures and operation specifications. Utilizes techniques such as affinity, ion exchange and HIC chromatography, and other appropriate unit operations.
- Design and execute key experiments to support development goals using Quality-by-Design (QbD) principles
- Develop, acquire, and implement new technologies to Ring Process Development platform
- Assist in the generation and review of protocols, reports, and batch records
- Provide technical oversight on downstream related activities
- Prepare and present data internally to cross functional teams
- Maintain substantial knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories and contribute to scientific literature and conferences.
- Hire, manage and mentor staff. Plan and assign duties to meet departmental and organizational objectives. Provide guidance and direction to staff; establishes expectations, defining roles, supporting career development and managing performance.
- Work with vendors to evaluate new technology in downstream process development
- Work closely with an entrepreneurial, highly-collaborative, interdisciplinary team and actively contribute to creating, shaping and executing the scientific vision of the company
- Performs additional job-related duties as required.
- PhD (1-3 years relevant experience) or BS/MS (7-10 years relevant experience) in biochemistry, chemistry, virology, biochemistry or related field.
- Extensive knowledge of key unit operation based on experience: Buffer preparation, chromatography systems, Centrifugation and Filtration
- Experience with process development and Quality by Design methodology.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work effectively as a member of a multidisciplinary team
- Demonstrated ability in working with highly skilled teams in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and technical environment
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills.