Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship is backed by more than $4.4 billion of aggregate capital commitments, of which over $1.9 billion has been deployed toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $10 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including: Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics, Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SYRS). In March of 2020, Flagship closed a $1.1 billion capital raise for its seventh Origination Fund to support the creation of additional groundbreaking companies originated and operating within its Flagship Labs unit.
Flagship’s Digital Ecosystem:
Flagship is driving innovations in how it manages and supports its growing portfolio of companies, including the development of a new cross-portfolio Digital and Data team. Flagship believes that the sophisticated use of modern digital and data technologies is a strategic differentiator for companies, with the potential to significantly alter their productivity, market position and long-term success.
The Flagship Ecosystem presents a compelling opportunity for impact-focused technology professionals for a number of reasons:
- Flagship’s companies create medicines that save and improve the lives of patients. Moreover, the companies in the Flagship network have the potential to dramatically change disease treatment, healthcare, and sustainable agriculture on a global scale.
- The Flagship network is composed of new and growing companies with widely varying needs that span all aspects of technology, presenting incredible opportunities for learning and development.
- Flagship creates new companies that operate without the burden of legacy systems or technical debt. Individuals that understand the technical opportunities and challenges in company growth will have the opportunity to influence and shape the trajectory of dozens of companies, with broad impact.
To deliver on this mission, Flagship seeks individuals who have a proven track record of solving enterprise-scale challenges while thriving in a dynamic startup culture.
Flagship’s early and mid-stage portfolio companies currently occupy over 250k square feet of lab space in and around Cambridge, MA, with plans to add more. This role is a ground-floor leadership opportunity within the Flagship Digital team and will work with scientists, stakeholders and internal and external partners across the Flagship early and mid-stage portfolio companies to create and deliver all aspects of the technical foundation for how Flagship’s labs operate. This includes but is not limited to; roadmaps for and delivery of standard lab systems, approaches for rapid delivery of customized lab systems, oversight of and escalation point for Lab IT support and services, and standards for security, monitoring and maintenance – including documentation, SOPs, and training.
The Director, Lab IT Solutions and Services reports to the Flagship Vice President of Information Technology.
- Business analysis and solutions: Leveraging your extensive experience and understanding of Lab processes and systems, you will collaborate with Flagship lab operations & company scientists to define roadmaps for lab devices, software and data management tools. Also, engage with scientists to promote awareness of new technology and solutions that could make a difference to their work in our labs. And work with the Flagship Digital Engineering to develop rapid response approach to custom workflow needs and solutions
- Projects: Drive delivery of projects across all Flagship lab locations, including proposals, approvals, planning, 3rd party management, documentation, communication, change management, and training
- Operations: Define and establish onboarding, installation, management and support processes for lab systems, including related documentation, oversight, communication and change management. Ensure successful transfer of support to managed services provider, and oversee their performance and compliance with expectations
- Networking: Work with our networking partner to ensure appropriate networking protocols and capabilities are in place
- Security: Coordinate with CIO and CSO on defining, implementing and ongoing monitoring of security policies in the lab setting
- Relationships: Responsible for developing productive and strong relationships with company scientist community, other internal stakeholders, vendors and partners. Also, build connections and relationships across Flagship Digital, Operations and Origination teams in order to meet strategic and operational needs of companies
- Budget/Finance: Work with Flagship and/or company finance and contracts teams for all Lab IT-related proposals, budget planning and ongoing license and financial management
- 8+ years experience of hands-on management of Lab IT systems in a Biotech or Pharma R&D setting
- Excellent understanding of research lab processes, automation, instruments and related vendors
- Experience managing and delivering technology projects in the lab setting, especially change management and hand-off to operations and support
- Extensive business analysis experience working with scientists and third parties for lab system and software needs – pilots, roadmaps, implementation and oversight of operations
- Hands-on experience with computing device management & support in the lab setting for Mac, PC, and mobile devices – especially endpoint management, monitoring, patch management, asset management, remote access, and security
- Experience with and understanding of; cloud computing (preferably AWS), networking and information security
- Extensive vendor management experience
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Friendly, communicative, collaborative approach and style
- A degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or another related field is desirable