What if… you could tell the story of an organization that creates, resources, and builds life sciences companies that invent breakthrough technologies in order to transform human health and sustainability?
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life science platform companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has, through its Flagship Labs unit, applied its unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $50 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship has deployed over $2.2 billion in capital toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $18 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions.
We are seeking a dynamic individual to join the Communications and Public Affairs team at Flagship Pioneering to lead media relations. The successful candidate will cultivate new and existing positive relationships with journalists, bring creativity to how media relations contributes to positive brand building, and be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment. This position is full-time and based in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Own the development of Flagship’s media relations strategy designed to secure consistently high-quality coverage across various media (print, online and broadcast).
- Build relationships with and engage top-tier media and relevant key journalists
- Execute media tactics to generate visibility and support thought leadership
- Develop strategy that includes reporter and influencer research, pitch development and outreach, management of media preparation for executive interviews, and reporting and analytics related to media trends and coverage.
- Manage incoming media requests
- Lead media monitoring, distill data sets to identify trends in the environment, industry or amongst competitors; interpret data to derive meaningful insights and continuously share learnings with team.
- Develop media briefing packets for executives ahead of media interviews.
- Demonstrate strong media acumen when engaging with reporters.
- Develop and foster collaborative relationships across the Flagship ecosystem to stay informed of new initiatives and projects to enable optimal content creation and delivery of key messages.
- Develop robust plans that integrate digital and social media components and engage audiences across traditional and new media.
- Amplify speaking engagements for thought leaders
- Manage workload in a fast-paced and sometimes ambiguous environment
- Use excellent writing skills to research and draft a wide variety of materials including key messages, press releases, Q&As, backgrounders, infographics, videos, etc., with the extended Communications and Public Affairs team.
- Liaise with PR agencies and other external consultants
- Collaborate closely with Communications and Public Affairs teammates to ensure appropriate pull-through across various internal and external channels
- Bachelor’s degree
- 8-10 years of experience in a public relations agency or corporate communications environment
- Proven track record securing diversified, high-level media placements, as well as the ability to see industry trends and craft insights into effective media relations pitches
- Proven working experience in public relations, preferably pharmaceutical and/or biotech industry and well as financial communications
- Strong relationships with both local and national business and industry media outlets, preferred
- Excellent writing skills and a critical eye for detail
- Experienced managing issues directly with media
- Excellent project management skills
- Pharmaceutical company experience
- Prior PR agency experience
- PR and/or Journalism background
- Solid knowledge of social media including blogs, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.