Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship is backed by more than $4.4 billion of aggregate capital commitments, of which over $1.9 billion has been deployed toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $10 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including: Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics, Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SYRS). In March of 2020, Flagship closed a $1.1 billion capital raise for its seventh Origination Fund to support the creation of additional groundbreaking companies originated and operating within its Flagship Labs unit.
Flagship’s Digital Ecosystem
Flagship is driving innovations in how it manages and supports its growing portfolio of companies, including the development of a new cross-portfolio Digital and Data team. Flagship believes that the sophisticated use of modern digital and data technologies is a strategic differentiator for companies, with the potential to significantly alter their productivity, market position and long-term success.
The Flagship Ecosystem presents a compelling opportunity for impact-focused technology professionals for a number of reasons:
- Flagship’s companies create medicines that save and improve the lives of patients. Moreover, the companies in the Flagship network have the potentially to dramatically change disease treatment, healthcare, and sustainable agriculture on a global scale.
- The Flagship network is composed of new and growing companies with widely varying needs that span all aspects of technology, presenting incredible opportunity for learning and development.
- Flagship creates new companies that operate without the burden of legacy systems or technical debt. Individuals that understand the technical opportunities and challenges in company growth will have the opportunity to influence and shape the trajectory of dozens of companies, with broad impact.
To deliver on this mission, Flagship seeks individuals who have a proven track record of solving enterprise-scale challenges while thriving in a dynamic startup culture.
The IT Systems Engineer will report to the Manager of IT and be part of the team that provides day-to-day technical end user support services at Flagship Pioneering in Kendall Square, Cambridge. You will be part of the Flagship Digital team, which supports the IT, Scientific System and Data Science needs for both Flagship Pioneering and the Flagship network of early-stage companies.
- Lead the technical architecture, implementation and operation for core platforms including Microsoft 365 and other communication and identity-management systems
- Lead and coordinate security-related configuration and operations of all Flagship technology platforms
- Lead cross-SaaS integration activities to ensure seamless connectivity between systems
- Provide 2nd-level technical support for Flagship systems when appropriate
- Maintain excellent technical and project documentation and methods
- As needed, provide end-user training and documentation for areas of expertise
- As needed, provide technical expertise to Flagship portfolio companies
- As needed, provide 1st-level and technical support to Flagship executives and personnel
- Broadly participate in the activities of the Flagship team and Flagship Digital group
- 3-5 years of hands-on experience in technical customer support
- 3-5 years of experience in implementation and/or responsibility for computer security
- Experience with developing, documenting, and maintaining processes, methods and tools
- Project management experience, including management of technical projects with significant cross functional interdependencies.
- Experience with systems engineering for complex systems.
- Deep knowledge of Microsoft Exchange (including O365 suite, and Azure), Active Directory, DNS; Microsoft Office 365 certification a plus
- Experience with Okta / SSO / identity provider integrations.
- Systems integration experience
- Experience supporting common end user computing devices, e.g., PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad
- Experience supporting meeting room technology, e.g. telephony, video, Zoom, etc.
- Must have a functional understanding and experience in the administration and operation of common SAAS applications; e.g. Slack, Notion, Egnyte, etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Friendly, communicative, collaborative approach and style