Flagship Labs 63 Inc. (FL63) is a privately held, well-funded, early-stage platform biotechnology company that is leveraging emerging insights in RNA biology to develop a novel class of human therapeutics.
FL63 was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise that conceives, resources and grows first-in-category life science companies. The firm’s institutional innovation foundry, Flagship Labs, is where teams of scientific entrepreneurs systematically evolve ideas and turn previously undiscovered areas of science into real-world ventures. Flagship has created over 100 scientific ventures resulting in >$19 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and >50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents. Flagship’s portfolio companies include Moderna, Rubius Therapeutics, and Indigo Agriculture.
FL63 is a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial and innovation-driven organization seeking to hire an exceptional research associate to join our growing team. A successful candidate will have a B.S./M.S in molecular biology, biochemistry or cell biology, with an additional 0-3 years of relevant experience. The candidate’s career goals, laboratory skills, and core competencies should be aligned with the description below.
- Design, execute, and interpret multiple experimental workflows with an emphasis on biochemistry and in vitro assay development and consistently deliver high-quality data on a timeline.
- Internalize and develop novel technologies related to the company’s mission.
- Continually cultivate scientific/technical expertise through critical review of the scientific literature and attending external conferences.
- Work effectively with a cross-functional biology, technology, and chemistry team to contribute to the vision, strategy, and tactics of the organization.
- Strong general biochemistry & molecular biology background.
- Assay development expertise in both traditional plating formats for low-throughput applications and in 96w/384w microplates for medium throughput screening applications.
- Hands on experience in a broad array of RNA methods including bead-based nucleic acid purification, concentration detection (NanoDrop, Qubit), standard gel electrophoresis and capillary gel electrophoresis (CGE).
- Proven track record in experimental design, data analysis/visualization and effective communication of results in a team setting.
- Basic mammalian cell culture experience.
- Background in RNA biology.
- Experience with lab automation (Mantis, KingFisher, Biomek etc.).
- Exposure to Design of Experiment (DOE) models for statistics-based experimental design.
- Hands on experience with protein assay methods including protein purification, electrophoresis/Western blotting, bioluminescent/fluorescent reporter gene assays and other biochemical/cell-based functional assays.
- Fast-acting/efficient. Moves quickly and proactively with a strong work ethic to produce high-quality results while fostering a positive work environment. Focuses on key priorities. Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Integrity. Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidences. Does what is right not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully. Follows-through on commitments. Expects a high level of personal performance and team performance.
- Critical thinking. Learns quickly. Demonstrates ability to proficiently understand new information and independently achieve meaningful outcomes. Able to structure and process qualitative/quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions.
- Creativity & Innovation. Generates new and creative approaches to problem solving. Positive ‘can-do’ attitude. Views the toughest challenges as the greatest opportunities for personal growth and company innovation.
- Teamwork. Fully engaged in facilitating personal and team success. Reaches out to peers and cooperates with the team to establish an overall collaborative work environment. Often solicits and responds well to constructive feedback. Possesses good written and oral communication skills with the ability to clearly and concisely convey ideas and opinions.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Adjusts quickly to changing strategic and tactical priorities. Comfortable with ambiguity.