Flagship Labs 63 Inc. (FL63) is a privately held, well-funded, early-stage platform biotechnology company that is leveraging emerging insights in RNA biology to develop a novel class of human therapeutics.
FL63 was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise that conceives, resources, and grows first-in-category life science companies. The firm’s institutional innovation foundry, Flagship Labs, is where teams of scientific entrepreneurs systematically evolve ideas and turn previously undiscovered areas of science into real-world ventures. Flagship has created over 100 scientific ventures resulting in >$19 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and >50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents. Flagship’s portfolio companies include Moderna, Rubius Therapeutics, and Indigo Agriculture.
FL63 is a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial, and innovation-driven organization seeking to hire an exceptional scientist to join our growing team. A successful candidate will have a Ph.D. in cell biology, stem cell biology, molecular biology, developmental biology, or a related discipline with additional 0-5 (5+ for Sr.) years of relevant experience, and a proven track-record of scientific excellence as evidenced by a strong publication and/or patent record. The scientist will focus on the human disease modeling by the generation and evaluation of clonal CRISPR/Cas9-edited hPSC lines, differentiation, and disease phenotyping. You will work with cross-functional groups to drive innovative science in pursuit of novel medicines for unmet medical needs.
- Establish the efficient and robust protocols to generate various specific cell types (hepatocytes, neuron, RPE, or muscle) from human pluripotent cells to model human diseases.
- Develop the disease phenotype-specific molecular and functional assays in relevant cell types differentiated from human pluripotent stem cells (such as enzymatic activity, receptor function, metabolic assays).
- Introduce the disease-causing mutations using CRISPR/Cas9 technology or other related gene-editing platforms.
- Design, execute, and interpret multiple experimental workflows including the standard cell biology and stem cell biology methods.
- Continually cultivate scientific/technical expertise through critical review of the scientific literature, attending external conferences, and developing relationships with key opinion leaders.
- Foster a collaborative, creative, and rigorous culture of scientific discovery.
- Proven expertise in developing novel human stem cell approaches, applications to unique biological problems, profiling, and assay development.
- Deep knowledge of human pluripotent stem cell culture, characterization, QC, and differentiation (hepatocytes, neuron, RPE, or muscle).
- Proven hands-on experience with a variety cell-based and molecular biology readout technologies, such as FACS, flow cytometry, qPCR, ELISA, immunostaining, high-content and confocal imaging, genetic and epigenetic assessment.
- Extensive experience with gene editing technology (KO, targeted KI, multiplexed gene editing, or base editing).
- Experience in technique for genetic manipulation using siRNA, lentivirus, or PiggyBac system.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic environment as a team player with a strong work ethic, excellent communication, and time management skills.
- Experience with MPS (microphysiological system) (3D multi-cellular culture models, organoids, bioprinting, organ-on-a-chip).
- Experience designing AAV expression vectors, gene delivery in vitro and in vivo is a plus.
- Established track record in team/group leadership skills.
- Fast-acting/efficient. Moves quickly and proactively with a strong work ethic to produce high-quality results while fostering a positive work environment. Focuses on key priorities. Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Integrity. Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidences. Does what is right not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully. Follows-through on commitments. Expects a high level of personal performance and team performance.
- Critical thinking. Learns quickly. Demonstrates ability to proficiently understand new information and independently achieve meaningful outcomes. Able to structure and process qualitative/quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions.
- Creativity & Innovation. Generates new and creative approaches to problem solving. Positive ‘can-do’ attitude. Views the toughest challenges as the greatest opportunities for personal growth and company innovation.
- Teamwork. Fully engaged in facilitating personal and team success. Reaches out to peers and cooperates with the team to establish an overall collaborative work environment. Often solicits and responds well to constructive feedback. Possesses good written and oral communication skills with the ability to clearly and concisely convey ideas and opinions.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Adjusts quickly to changing strategic and tactical priorities. Comfortable with ambiguity.