Flagship Pioneering is launching FL67, a privately held, well-funded, early-stage biotechnology company that is pioneering the control of epigenetic mechanisms in cancer.
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and grows first-in-category life sciences companies. Since 2000, Flagship has created over 75 groundbreaking companies that are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:SYRS), Axcella Health, Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), and Indigo Agriculture.
This new Flagship Labs venture is a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial, and innovation-driven organization seeking to hire an exceptional Senior Scientist to join our team.
FL67 is seeking an innovative and highly motivated Senior Scientist, Preanalytical Laboratory Services with expertise in patient sample processing, NGS library preparation and sequencing to play a key role in the company’s efforts to discover and validate novel biomarkers for cancer.
The candidate will be working under the direction of the Head of Cancer Biology Testing and will lead the sample reception, accessioning and handling section. This role will be responsible for oversight of the receipt of human biospecimens, preanalytical processing of biospecimens under Lab SOPs and quality standards and generating quality data in a timely fashion. The Senior Scientist will interface with multiple teams to improve laboratory infrastructure, workflow, and processing to accommodate rapidly increasing specimen volumes, introduce automation, and align with regulatory guidelines. The successful candidate will work closely with the FL67 team to rapidly advance the scientific program. The ideal candidate must be organized, flexible, goal oriented, and eager to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Manage Sample Reception, Accessioning, and Handling section operations, including but not limited to: workforce hiring and development, equipment acquisition and implementation, improvement activities, and workflow improvements for preanalytical laboratory operations
- Lead and supervise personnel within the section
- Establish goals, mentor, drive professional development, training and competency assessments, performance assessments and regulatory compliance.
- Oversee the preparation, processing, and quality control of samples for clinical trials and development projects.
- Will establish, monitor, and evaluate quality assurance and performance metrics to monitor sample and analytical performance, take corrective action where applicable and report any failures to an appropriate member of staff
- Ensure accurate and precise data entry on the Laboratory Information Systems (LIS) by section
- Maintain oversight, integrity and accuracy of laboratory database where appropriate
- Lead interactions with CROs regarding sample acquisition for the Sample Reception, Accessioning, and Handling section
- Oversee routine and complex sample preparation using accuracy and precision to correctly employ the procedures and protocols
- Lead the development, modification and execution of lab SOPs to process samples quickly and efficiently by the section
- Work across teams to troubleshoot and improve SOPs where possible
- Execute, analyze, and communicate scientific findings
- Develop a close working relationship with the other technical and scientific laboratory staff while collaborating effectively with colleagues from other groups
- PhD or equivalent in the Biological Sciences, Chemistry or Physical Sciences or related discipline
- Previous laboratory experience, in academic, pharmaceutical, or biotechnology settings, clinical laboratory experience helpful
- Experience with DNA and or RNA extraction and preparation of NGS libraries.
- Demonstrated ability to work in highly skilled multidisciplinary teams in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, or technical setting
- Excellent communication skills to clearly convey needs, issues and goals both internally and externally
- Experience in team leadership either overseeing projects or direct reports
- Experience with high throughput processing or large-scale studies a plus
Flagship Pioneering is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.