Tessera Therapeutics is an early-stage life sciences company pioneering Gene Writing, a new biotechnology designed to offer scientists and clinicians the ability to write small and large therapeutic messages into the genome, thereby curing diseases at their source. Gene Writing holds the potential to become a new category in genetic medicine, building upon recent breakthroughs in gene therapy and gene editing while eliminating important limitations in their reach, utilization, and efficacy. Tessera Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, a life sciences innovation enterprise that conceives, resources, and develops first-in-category companies to transform human health and sustainability.
The Director of Pharmacology will be responsible for leading pharmacology and toxicology at Tessera. This individual will join a dynamic, rapidly growing, and highly collaborative team that combines significant biologic drug discovery experience with pioneering discoveries driving a novel biological platform.
- Work closely with the therapeutic development team to develop preclinical models of genetic diseases
- Oversee a vivarium and establish and maintain animal colonies for genetic disease models
- Plan, coordinate, and execute small and large animal studies (eg non-human primate) both internally and with contract research organizations
- Build a team of all-star scientists
- A proven scientific leader with 6+ years of industry experience in pharmacology
- Direct industry experience in gene therapy or gene editing technologies is preferred.
- PD. in Synthetic Biology, Cell Biology, Genetics, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Systems Biology, Immunology, or related field if preferred
- Experience developing genetic disease animal models
- Gene editing, mRNA, or siRNA/ASO experience
- Experience preparing INDs
- Outstanding teamwork, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Team leadership experience with a demonstrated track record of personnel development.
- Therapeutic expertise in oncology, immunologically-based or rare genetic diseases highly desirable.
- Experience with lipid nanoparticles or AAV
More About Flagship Pioneering
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has, through its Flagship Labs unit, applied its unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $50B in aggregate value. To date, Flagship has deployed over $2.2B in capital toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $18B of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics (NASDAQ: FHTX), Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Sigilon Therapeutics (NASDAQ: SGTX).
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.