Toran Therapeutics is a privately held, early stage biotechnology company creating an unprecedented drug discovery platform around transporter proteins to discover novel therapeutics. As the molecular gateways of our bodies, transporters are responsible for the flux of all biomolecules into and out of all cells and organelles. As a generally untapped but druggable class of proteins, transporters have been ignored because they are notoriously difficult to work with. Toran is developing novel biological and technological solutions for transporter biology to treat a broad range of diseases.
Toran Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an institute dedicated to the origination and development of first-in-category life sciences companies. Since 2000, Flagship has originated and fostered the development of nearly 100 scientific ventures resulting in $20+ billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
We are seeking a highly motivated and talented analytical scientist with expertise in LC-MS, including UPLC and mass spectrometry operation and maintenance. S/he will join the team to characterize transporter function and activity, map metabolic and signaling pathways, and support the discovery of molecules that modulate transporter activity. This is an exciting and interdisciplinary role for a highly qualified and motivated individual. Ideally s/he is experienced with conceiving, designing, and executing mass spectrometry-based experiments, and skilled with instrument operation, and data processing and interpretation. S/he is familiar with setting up cell, membrane, or protein-based experiments to facilitate metabolite profiling. S/he is a team player, and will enjoy working in a collaborative, fast-paced start-up environment, deploying a high degree of problem-solving and trouble-shooting skills to make a large impact to advance Toran’s mission.
- Work independently and collaboratively to design, plan, and execute both hypothesis-driven and exploratory metabolomics studies
- Develop, validate, and implement LC-MS analytical assays to develop a mechanistic understanding of transporter biology and to support the discovery small molecules and biologics for modulation of transporter activity
- Operation of LC-MS instruments, including maintenance, method development and optimization, and data processing
- Design and implementation of cell biology, biochemistry, and mass spectrometry assays to study metabolic pathways
- Advocate for innovation and application; learn and implement new experimental techniques and approaches that can answer critical scientific questions
- Delivery high-quality and timely data to support programs’ strategy and goals
- Keep accurate records of all experiments, data, equipment logs and troubleshoot the instruments as necessary
- Make detailed observations, data analyses and result interpretations
- Communicate, as appropriate, efforts and progress to internal and external parties
- PhD (with 3+ years’ experience), MS (5+ years) or BS (8+ years) in analytical science, biochemistry, or related fields, with an emphasis on metabolite mass spectrometry
- Hands-on operation and troubleshooting with LC-MS instruments. Hands-on experience with Q-Exactive Instruments is preferred.
- Experienced with method development for targeted and untargeted metabolomics
- Familiar with a variety of sample preparation and separation approaches for small molecule quantification
- Mass spectrometry data processing, analysis, and organizational capabilities are critical
- Working knowledge of cellular metabolism
- Drug discovery experience is preferred
- Strong ability to organize and communicate complex data sets and science in a clear and concise manner through written or oral communications
- Instinctive team player with excellent people skills
Flagship Pioneering is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.