What if…you could join an organization that creates, resources, and builds life sciences companies that invent breakthrough technologies in order to transform health care and sustainability?
FVL59, Inc. is a privately held, well-funded, early-stage biotechnology company leveraging focused on developing novel modalities to drug RNA. FVL59 is developing new therapeutic strategies to treat or cure a range of diseases including rare genetic disease, neurological disease, and oncology.
FVL59, Inc. was founded by Flagship Pioneering in the Flagship Labs innovation foundry, where companies such as Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Editas Medicines (NASDAQ: EDIT), Sana Biotechnology, and Indigo Agriculture were conceived and created. Flagship has created over 100 scientific ventures resulting in $34 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and 50+ clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
We are seeking a Principal Scientist/Associate Director in medicinal chemistry to join our passionate team of scientists. You will take an active role in helping to shape a therapeutic platform addressing novel RNA biology. You will design small molecules and beyond-rule-of-five probes, working alongside other FVL59 scientists, to advance our platforms and therapeutic programs. You will be responsible for driving medicinal chemistry projects to design and complete key proof-of-concept studies and a strong background in industrial drug discovery is therefore required.
Successful candidates will be self-starters, able to thrive in a fast-paced, action-oriented, team environment and display a clear passion for science and impact. The individual will have demonstrated evidence of agility and nimbleness to progress scientific discoveries, and an overt attitude of positivity when facing challenges. They will be dedicated to develop and grow outside their comfort zone by constantly learning.
- Drive medicinal chemistry efforts in drug discovery and technology projects, designing high quality small molecules to enable and progress projects, first as proof-of concept and then to candidate selection
- Drive exploratory chemistry for beyond-rule-of-5 approaches to address novel biology
- Design probes for target validation across a range of challenging target classes (protein-protein interactions, RNA etc)
- Manage outsourced chemistry resources, establishing and maintaining excellent working relationships with external providers. Creatively solve problems (synthetic routes, logistics etc) to ensure delivery of compounds according to timelines.
- May lead drug discovery projects
- PhD in Organic chemistry, Chemical Biology or Medicinal Chemistry
- 5-10 years of industrial medicinal chemistry experience with a track record of high-quality small molecule project deliveries, ideally from project inception to candidate delivery.
- Demonstrated openness to validate/prosecute biological targets with beyond-rule-of-5 small molecules (for example PROTAC, macrocycles, etc) when small molecules approaches are less well suited.
- Experience in managing outsourced resources with evidence of solving challenges
- Sound knowledge of other disciplines (DMPK, Biology, Safety, Chemical Biology etc)
- Demonstrated ability to work with highly skilled teams in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and technical environment
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, capable of conveying scientific information in a clear and thorough manner.
More About Flagship Pioneering
We are creative optimists and we would love for you to consider joining our team! See all our open opportunities across Flagship Pioneering’s Ecosystem!
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship is backed by more than $4.4 billion of aggregate capital commitments, of which over $1.9 billion has been deployed toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $10 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including: Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics, Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SYRS).
We believe pioneering is best done by teams, and that it is a process that can be taught, learned, and replicated. Learn more about our Company Creation Model.
Can Breakthrough Innovations Be Made Systematically? A Conversation With Noubar Afeyan, Flagship Pioneering’s CEO.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.