Inzen Therapeutics is a privately held, early-stage biotechnology company exploring ThanokineTM Biology as a surprising and important driver of disease. While the ability of living cells to respond to messages from other living cells is a well-established concept, Inzen has identified that living cells also respond to messages released by cells as they undergo turnover and die. We call these messages ThanokinesTM, and the way a cell undergoes turnover dramatically alters the ThanokinesTM that are released. ThanokinesTM can elicit a broad array of responses in living cells, and we have demonstrated that ThanokinesTM play a previously unrecognized role in the pathogenesis of a number of important diseases. Our mission is to pioneer a novel category of drugs based on manipulating Thanokine BiologyTM for the treatment of cancer, immune and fibrotic diseases, and regenerative processes.
Inzen Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an organization dedicated to the origination and development of first-in-category life sciences companies. Since 2000, Flagship has originated and fostered the development of nearly 100 scientific ventures resulting in $20+ billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
Inzen Therapeutics offers the challenge and opportunity to work at an early stage, big concept biotechnology company. We are seeking an Associate Director to lead our Fibrosis & Regeneration group, which is focused on identifying and prosecuting new targets and first-in-class drug concepts to treat fibrotic diseases based on new insights into cellular turnover.
The candidate will be a key leader and drive research based on Inzen’s proprietary platform and their deep understanding of tissue fibrosis and regeneration. The candidate will be an ambitious & accomplished scientist and drug discoverer and will lead a team responsible for leveraging the Inzen platform to identify, and prosecute, novel therapeutic targets to prevent and reverse fibrosis and promote a regenerative response. They will have responsibility for the direction and execution of projects from development of therapeutic hypotheses through to assay and model development, target ID and validation, and drug discovery. They will foster a collaborative team environment, champion innovative scientific concepts and contribute to the overall success of Inzen.
We are looking for an individual with a track record of accomplishments in developing and executing innovative assays and methodologies. S(he) should be a skilled scientist and excellent communicator, innovative, and comfortable in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Provide scientific leadership for the Tissue Fibrosis and Regeneration team and across biology.
- Advance programs from exploratory biology to drug discovery, prosecuting multiple targets and therapeutic concepts.
- Advance novel science and generate new ideas to enable continuous innovation in the new field of cellular turnover.
- Design and execute experimental plans that inform and enable project progression, supervising internal efforts as well as working with external vendors.
- Lead and develop colleagues using effective coaching and mentorship to maximize performance, engagement, and scientific growth.
- Ensure integration and collaboration of biology teams with platform technology and data sciences teams.
- Lead external research relationships with academic and commercial partners.
- Ph.D. in relevant area of biological science, with 10 or more years post-doctoral experience (at least 5 years in an industry setting) focused around the biology of fibrosis and regeneration in the liver, lung or heart.
- Direct experience and deep knowledge of a broad range of techniques across fibrosis, regeneration, and cell signaling. Experience in the areas of NASH and/or pulmonary fibrosis are a plus. Knowledge and understanding of in vitro culture systems that faithfully recapitulate liver and lung biology are also an advantage.
- Track record of achievement across discovery biology, from exploratory biology through to candidate nomination.
- Proven ability to lead research and collaborate effectively in a multi-disciplinary team setting.
- A strong record of accomplishment in the field, including publications, patents, and presentations.
- Excellent communicator, with the ability to clearly convey complex messages to any audience.
- Confident, execution-focused, team-oriented.
Flagship Pioneering is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.