Tessera Therapeutics is pioneering Gene Writing™—a new genome engineering technology that writes therapeutic messages into the genome to treat diseases at their source. Tessera Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise that conceives, creates, resources, and grows first-in-category life sciences companies. Flagship Pioneering has created over 40 groundbreaking companies over the past fifteen years, all of which are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ:MCRB), Moderna (MRNA), Syros Pharmaceuticals (SYRS), Rubius Therapeutics (RUBY), Axcella Health (AXLA), Evelo Biosciences (EVLO), and Indigo Agriculture.
Tessera Therapeutics is seeking a Director of Molecular Virology to lead our discovery and engineering efforts to generate novel genome engineering platforms. The candidate will have a strong background and deep subject-matter expertise in virus biology and genetics, as well as experience engineering viral vectors for gene therapy. The position will be responsible for driving the research strategy to develop the next generation of Gene Writing technology. We seek applicants that are proactive, enthusiastic, and show a passion for virology and technology development. The applicant should have strong communication and collaboration skills, along with a strong technical background.
- Designing a research program for the development of Gene Writing technology using insights from RNA-virus virology and vector engineering
- Directing research activities of a team of 5+ scientists and research associates that is focused on high-throughput screening of Gene Writing technology with industrial, state of the art synthetic biology tools
- Developing deep domain expertise through literature and engagement with external advisors
- Collaborating with other groups in the platform, manufacturing, and quantitative biology team
- PhD degree in a Virology-relevant discipline with 8+ years of research experience
- 5 years of industry experience required
- Experience with design, construction, and genetic manipulation of RNA viruses
- Knowledge and expertise in molecular virology, viral life cycle, synthetic biology
- Managerial experience required
- Ability to initiate and direct interactions and collaborations with KOLs
- Experience working in a functional and matrix environment
- Strong academic credentials, backed by publications
Flagship Pioneering is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.