What if…you could join an organization that is harnessing biology to create a more sustainable economy?
FL79 Inc. is a privately-held biotechnology company pioneering advances in generative biology and genome engineering in order to accelerate the transition to a sustainable economy. FL79 is developing multiple computational and molecular technologies to unlock biology’s ability to capture carbon and reduce emissions in several existing industries, including agriculture, food production, and industrials.
FL79 was founded by Flagship Pioneering in the Flagship Labs innovation foundry. Flagship Pioneering creates, resources, and builds life sciences companies that invent breakthrough technologies in order to transform health care and sustainability. Flagship has created over 100 groundbreaking companies since 2000, including Moderna (NDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NDAQ: RUBY), Indigo Ag and Sana Biotechnology.
We are seeking a creative, accomplished, and highly ambitious plant biologist to join the team and play a leading role in the buildout of the necessary molecular techniques as well as the execution of key proof-of-concept experiments. The successful candidate will have a deep expertise in plant genetics and genome engineering methods, as well as an intrinsic curiosity and innovator’s drive to build and prove the viability of new and improved technologies. The successful candidate will be a self-starter, eager to work in a cross-disciplinary setting with talented individuals of different backgrounds, and will thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Build out core laboratory functions to test novel gene editing machinery in plant cells
- Establish necessary tissue culture practices in order to test in plant cells
- Develop assays to assess gene editing in plant cells, including fluorescence microscopy, flow cytometry, ddPCR and amplicon sequencing readouts
- Plan and execute experiments to demonstrate activity of novel gene writers
- Clearly communicate results to management and investors (oral & written)
- Stay up to date on relevant literature and contribute to the development of the overall scientific strategy for genome engineering in plants
- Hire team of junior scientists and manage to meet research goals
- Assist with technical diligence in evaluating new potential opportunities
- Work effectively with other groups in research and strategy to meet company goals
- PhD in botany, plant genetics, plant biology, genetic engineering or related field
- 5+ years relevant industry research experience
- Experience developing assays and analyzing data to assess genome editing technologies is a must
- Self-starter, able to work independently and manage research associates
- Entrepreneurial, strong desire to work in a startup environment
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Unmatched sense of urgency
- Outstanding cultural contributor; no ego
More About Flagship Pioneering
We are creative optimists and we would love for you to consider joining our team! See all our open opportunities across Flagship Pioneering’s Ecosystem!
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship is backed by more than $4.4 billion of aggregate capital commitments, of which over $1.9 billion has been deployed toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $10 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including: Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics, Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SYRS).
We believe pioneering is best done by teams, and that it is a process that can be taught, learned, and replicated. Learn more about our Company Creation Model.
Can Breakthrough Innovations Be Made Systematically? A Conversation With Noubar Afeyan, Flagship Pioneering’s CEO.
Flagship Pioneering is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.