What if…you could join an organization that is harnessing biology to create a more sustainable economy?
FL79 Inc. is a privately-held biotechnology company pioneering advances in generative biology and genome engineering in order to accelerate the transition to a sustainable economy. FL79 is developing multiple computational and molecular technologies to unlock biology’s ability to capture carbon and reduce emissions in several existing industries, including agriculture, food production, and industrials.
FL79 was founded by Flagship Pioneering in the Flagship Labs innovation foundry. Flagship Pioneering creates, resources, and builds life sciences companies that invent breakthrough technologies in order to transform health care and sustainability. Flagship has created over 100 groundbreaking companies since 2000, including Moderna (NDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NDAQ: RUBY), Indigo Ag and Sana Biotechnology.
We are seeking a creative, accomplished and highly ambitious computational biologist to join the team and play a leading role in the execution of key analyses to inform product pipeline development as well as the implementation and development of core machine learning algorithms. The successful candidate will have deep expertise in genomics and computational biology techniques, as well as an emerging interest and some experience with machine learning techniques. The successful candidate will be highly-motivated by start-ups and our mission, enjoy working in a cross-disciplinary setting with experimental scientists, and jump at the opportunity to create value in a multitude of ways.
- Perform genomic analyses on publicly available data to build databases and prioritize candidates for various applications of generative biology and gene writing
- Implement, manage and contribute to development of code base
- Assist with key data analysis activities across the company
- Lead the design, development and implementation of novel machine learning algorithms of protein and genetic sequencing data
- Generate and contribute to IP writing
- Maintain scientific and technical expertise through familiarity with scientific literature, attending conferences, and developing relationships with thought leaders
- Clearly communicate results to management and investors (oral & written)
- Assist with technical diligence in evaluating new potential opportunities
- Work effectively with other groups in research and strategy to meet company goals
- PhD in computer science, statistics, computational biology, bioinformatics or closely related field
- Expertise in python programming as evidenced by publications and/or contributions to open-source projects on github
- Understanding and demonstrated analysis of biology and knowledge of genomics, genetic, molecular and protein data
- Self-motivated and curious with strong desire to learn from and teach others
- Self-starter, able to work independently and manage research associates
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Unmatched sense of urgency
- Outstanding cultural contributor; no ego
More About Flagship Pioneering
We are creative optimists and we would love for you to consider joining our team! See all our open opportunities across Flagship Pioneering’s Ecosystem!
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship is backed by more than $4.4 billion of aggregate capital commitments, of which over $1.9 billion has been deployed toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $10 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including: Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics, Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SYRS).
We believe pioneering is best done by teams, and that it is a process that can be taught, learned, and replicated. Learn more about our Company Creation Model.
Can Breakthrough Innovations Be Made Systematically? A Conversation With Noubar Afeyan, Flagship Pioneering’s CEO.
Flagship Pioneering is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.