What if…you could join an organization that is harnessing biology to create a more sustainable economy?
FL79 Inc. is a privately-held biotechnology company pioneering advances in generative biology and genome engineering in order to accelerate the transition to a sustainable economy. FL79 is developing multiple computational and molecular technologies to unlock biology’s ability to capture carbon and reduce emissions in several existing industries, including agriculture, food production, and industrials.
FL79 was founded by Flagship Pioneering in the Flagship Labs innovation foundry. Flagship Pioneering creates, resources, and builds life sciences companies that invent breakthrough technologies in order to transform health care and sustainability. Flagship has created over 100 groundbreaking companies since 2000, including Moderna (NDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NDAQ: RUBY), Indigo Ag and Sana Biotechnology.
We are seeking a determined, analytically rigorous, and intellectually well-rounded strategist to join the team and drive several activities in corporate strategy, product opportunity assessment, and value creation. The successful candidate will be expected to perform extensive research in the development and synthesis of strategic recommendations across a variety of disciplines, including; technology-application fit, quantification of market opportunity, product life cycle assessment, and regulatory landscape. This is a high-impact, high-visibility role, as this person will work closely with the founding team and Flagship executives to craft a best-in-class strategy that simultaneously delivers market-leading rate of profit and unprecedented sustainability impact; and does so in a way that is comprehensive and captures opportunities in several industrial contexts. The successful candidate will be deeply collaborative, an outstanding communicator, and will thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- In the first 3 months; build a strategic framework to contextualize and prioritize opportunities for generative biology to transform agriculture towards sustainability
- Rapidly and comprehensively diligence market dynamics, customer preferences, and value chain participants to identify and benchmark value propositions of generative biology in agriculture
- Quantify the total market opportunity and the sustainability impacts of lead products and effectively articulate these opportunities to investors and partners
- In the first 6 months; map the total opportunity space for generative biology to transform multiple industries towards sustainability and build a roadmap for strategic and operational expansion to additional industries beyond agriculture
- Attract and assimilate a network of key opinion leaders and potential partners that can accelerate the maturation of product and deployment strategies
- Synthesize and communicate value creation strategy that effectively portrays a multi-billion-dollar opportunity for generative biology in sustainability and a capital allocation plan well poised to capture that opportunity
- Understand the strengths and limitations of the technology as well as the technical requirements of potential products to be able to quickly triage opportunities and identify those of interest
- Play an outsized role in building a company and culture dedicated to applying breakthrough science to the most pressing issues facing humanity
- Advanced degree in life sciences or MBA from top tier business school
- Significant work experience (5+ years) in strategy, business development or corporate development, management consulting, or venture capital/private equity
- Professional experience in Agriculture highly preferred, especially search & eval experience at large ag company
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to synthesize information rapidly and effectively
- Ability to parallel process multiple projects and work streams
- Entrepreneurial, strong desire to work in a startup environment
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Unmatched sense of urgency
- Outstanding cultural contributor; no ego
More About Flagship Pioneering
We are creative optimists and we would love for you to consider joining our team! See all our open opportunities across Flagship Pioneering’s Ecosystem!
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship is backed by more than $4.4 billion of aggregate capital commitments, of which over $1.9 billion has been deployed toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $10 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including: Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics, Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SYRS).
We believe pioneering is best done by teams, and that it is a process that can be taught, learned, and replicated. Learn more about our Company Creation Model.
Can Breakthrough Innovations Be Made Systematically? A Conversation With Noubar Afeyan, Flagship Pioneering’s CEO.
Flagship Pioneering is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.