Tessera Therapeutics is pioneering Gene Writing™—a new genome engineering technology that writes therapeutic messages into the genome to treat diseases at their source. Tessera Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise that conceives, creates, resources, and grows first-in-category life sciences companies. Flagship Pioneering has created over 40 groundbreaking companies over the past fifteen years, all of which are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ:MCRB), Moderna (MRNA), Syros Pharmaceuticals (SYRS), Rubius Therapeutics (RUBY), Axcella Health (AXLA), Evelo Biosciences (EVLO), and Indigo Agriculture.
You’ll bring your passion and technology expertise into a novel gene therapy company. We are seeking an innovative automation scientist or engineer to help establish, grow and manage laboratory automation using mid-, large- scale robotic systems. This is a unique opportunity to have a significant impact on assay automation, preclinical operations, and high throughput process development in a rapidly growing novel gene therapy company.
The successful candidate will drive the full spectrum of laboratory automation. This includes:
- Leading the design, implementation, testing of specific automation projects
- Prototyping systems, site/factory acceptance testing, method implementation, end-user training and support
- Implementing and executing on effective life cycle management including troubleshooting, maintenance and continuous improvement of automation systems
- Setting up and managing strategic collaboration with automation and technology providers
- Partnering with a broad data science team to establish efficient and powerful end-to-end solutions that advance our science and therapies
- Partnering with end users to develop solutions to scientific problems
- Evangelizing and demonstrating the capability and power of automation
- Graduate degree preferred, but a minimum of a BS in an engineering or a life science discipline required
- 10+ years of relevant industry experience
- Passionate and curious about the use of automation in science with a demonstrated ability to Identify and on-board new automation platforms for use in a therapeutic development process ranging from discovery to clinical
- Proficiency with all aspects of automation technologies
- Hands-on experience in the development, life cycle management, and maintenance of liquid handers and robotic systems
- Experience with automation scheduling software
- Proficiency in programming languages including Python, R, Matlab, or Visual Basic
- Demonstrated ability to map scientific question to an automation/technology solution
- Successful implementation of mid- and large- scale automation projects
- Ability to build and lead a team
- A strong self-starter, independent thinker, with a strong attention to detail
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, capable of conveying technical information in a clear and thorough manner
- The ability to effectively influence the work of others
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Eager to work with highly skilled and dynamic teams in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and technical setting
- Experience with biologics (e.g. therapeutic proteins, viral vectors, and vaccines)
- Bioprocess or analytical development experience
- Good scientific knowledge of cell and molecular biology and biochemistry
- Understanding of the current therapeutic discovery and development process, especially biologics and how automation can impact them
- Experience with automation in the gene editing, gene therapy, or RNA interference technology space in in vivo or to ex vivo cells
- Experience operating in a cross-functional team environment
Flagship Pioneering is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
RECRUITING & STAFFING AGENCIES: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.