What if…you could join an organization that creates, resources, and builds life sciences companies that invent breakthrough technologies in order to transform health care and sustainability?
Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
Pioneering Medicines is a newly formed initiative dedicated to conceiving and developing an innovative pipeline of first-in-category therapeutic products that will leverage Flagship's platform companies and extend beyond the programs the companies develop on their own.
The Director, Project Management, Pioneering Medicines will be an important team member in creating, growing, and building Pioneering Medicines into a world-class biopharmaceutical R&D capability within Flagship Pioneering that conceives and develops a unique portfolio of life changing treatments for patients.
The Director, Project Management reports to the SVP, Portfolio Strategy and Operations. They are accountable for the operational efforts both internally and externally to drive the execution of our project teams. The Director will work closely with the project leader and team members of each asset.
Flagship is an experiment in institutional, entrepreneurial innovation practiced in the context of a small company with an insurgent mindset. We are seeking individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit, strong communication skills, and comfort working in and contributing to a dynamic and cross-functional team environment. The level of the role will be commensurate with the education and years of experience of the identified candidate.
- Relentlessly ensures the execution and tracking of critical activities for project teams. Manages projects of high complexity and/or multiple projects
- Ability to think strategically at the asset and portfolio level and imagine new possibilities. Possesses solid understanding of project strategy and disease content and contributes to strategic discussions
- Supports the project team to shape and execute the project strategy, working with the project leader
- Maintains and contributes to the integrated development plan for each asset
- Establishes a close partnering relationship with each team member. Contributes to a high-energy team spirit and high functioning team
- Maintains detailed, rigorous timelines for each project and brings an attitude that “every day counts”. Tracks the various parts of the timeline, resolves issues, and updates timeline on an on-going basis to allow transparency
- Develops and coordinates resource planning across functions
- Responsible for the conduct and deliverables of project team meetings
- Identifies project risks with input from team members, and works to resolve
- Ensures all decisions made at the project team meeting are assessed as to their impact – positive, negative or neutral on the current plan, budget, and available resources
- PhD or Master’s degree. 7 years of drug development experience or scientific, functional experience at a minimum. Highly experienced Project Manager
- Extremely resourceful and effective in highly uncertain circumstances
- A true drug developer, possessing a deep understanding of the drug development process and an ability to integrate all components
- Significant experience on biologics (antibodies, bispecifics, t-cell engagers, fusion proteins) and / or RNA based therapies and gene therapy.
- Strong prioritization skills
- Effectively utilizes information technology systems and project management tools and systems
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others within and across functions/teams
- Able to lead / manage parts of a project autonomously
- Able to influence project team decisions and challenge team member recommendations
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal; skilled in writing project documentation; able to foster open communication; possesses good conflict resolution skills
- Ability to distill information from team meetings, governance presentation topics, etc., and synthesize the information into a coherent story for the audience as appropriate.
Values and Behaviors
- Great sense of urgency
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Mission oriented and dedicated to bringing breakthrough therapies to patients
- Has courage to take risks and bold action to advance novel treatments
- Motivates and encourages employees and team members at all levels
- Fosters a growth oriented, high energy, and encouraging environment
- Ability to hold oneself and others accountable for commitments in an assertive and positive manner
More About Flagship Pioneering
We are creative optimists and we would love for you to consider joining our team! See all our open opportunities across Flagship Pioneering’s Ecosystem!
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship is backed by more than $4.4 billion of aggregate capital commitments, of which over $1.9 billion has been deployed toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $10 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including: Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics, Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SYRS).
We believe pioneering is best done by teams, and that it is a process that can be taught, learned, and replicated. Learn more about our Company Creation Model.
Can Breakthrough Innovations Be Made Systematically? A Conversation With Noubar Afeyan, Flagship Pioneering’s CEO.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.