Tessera Therapeutics is pioneering Gene Writing to cure disease. Our genome is a mosaic comprising genes that protect us from, predispose us to, and cause disease. Gene Editing biotechnologies heralded the era of genome-modifying medicines, but they cannot address most diseases. Gene Writing is a new biotechnology that writes therapeutic messages into the genome to cure thousands of diseases at their source.
Tessera Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise that conceives, creates, resources, and grows first-in-category life sciences companies. Flagship Pioneering has created over 40 groundbreaking companies over the past fifteen years, all of which are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ:MCRB), Moderna (MRNA), Syros Pharmaceuticals (SYRS), Rubius Therapeutics (RUBY), Axcella Health (AXLA), Evelo Biosciences (EVLO), and Indigo Agriculture.
Tessera is seeking a Senior Director to oversee the Bioprocess team. The candidate will oversee a team that will develop and optimize upstream and downstream operations for the production of Gene Writing reagents to enable in vitro and small animal in vivo studies. The candidate will oversee synthesis, purification, formulation, and analytical functions. The candidate will interface with external technology companies, research institutes/universities, and contract development and manufacturing organizations as required. Over time, the candidate’s focus will shift to GMP process development for large animal models and IND-enabling studies. We are searching for a driven, enthusiastic and self-motivated individual who is comfortable multitasking and working independently on various aspects of the platform.
- Develop and optimize methods in production, purification, and analytics of mRNA and mRNA formulation
- Choose and negotiate agreements with CDMOs for the production of AAV vectors and protein reagents, as well as managing the technical and business aspects of the relationship.
- Scout, integrate, and develop new analytical and/or process technologies
- Knowledge and experience of gene and cell therapy GMP and CMC regulations including ATMP regulations.
- Build a foundation for Tessera’s technical operations and set a company standard for operational excellence
- Work closely with the Platform, Quantitative Biology, and Translational Medicine teams to enable efficient study design and execution
- Recruit, develop, and lead junior staff
- Serve as part of the broader Research leadership team in setting goals, strategy, and budgets, and evaluating project progress
- PhD+ 8 years industry experience, MS+15 years industry experience or equivalent in chemical engineering, bioengineering, molecular biology, biology, virology, biochemistry or related field
- Expertise in mRNA synthesis, purification, and analytics
- Expertise in mRNA formulation and analytics on the formulated product
- Experience developing strategic timelines and executing successfully on corporate goals
- Strong interpersonal skills and management experience in developing a scientific team and program
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, capable of conveying technical information in a clear and thorough manner.
- Eager to work with highly-skilled and dynamic teams in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and technical setting.
- Familiarity with bioprocesses for the production and analytics of viral vectors or biologics
- Experience with genetic medicines such as gene therapy, gene editing, or antisense RNA
- Demonstrated industry experience or academic achievement, as evidenced by publications in high impact journals or drug development is required
RECRUITING & STAFFING AGENCIES: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.