Tessera Therapeutics is pioneering Gene Writing to cure disease. Our genome is a mosaic comprising genes that protect us from, predispose us to, and cause disease. Gene Editing biotechnologies heralded the era of genome-modifying medicines, but they cannot address most diseases. Gene Writing is a new biotechnology that writes therapeutic messages into the genome to cure thousands of diseases at their source.
Tessera Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise that conceives, creates, resources, and grows first-in-category life sciences companies. Flagship Pioneering has created over 40 groundbreaking companies over the past fifteen years, all of which are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ:MCRB), Moderna (MRNA), Syros Pharmaceuticals (SYRS), Rubius Therapeutics (RUBY), Axcella Health (AXLA), Evelo Biosciences (EVLO), and Indigo Agriculture.
We’re looking for a passionate individual to bring their biology and technology expertise to lead our Molecular Assays team at Tessera, a novel gene therapy company. They’ll be responsible for the evaluation, onboarding, and execution of molecular and cellular technologies and related assays that support our strategic scientific direction. The initial assay focus will be in the broad sequencing (NGS) and nucleic acid quantification space.
- The successful candidate will identify, onboard, and execute NGS and other nucleic acid technologies that address the needs underlying the molecular validation of gene therapy and genome editing.
- Also, the successful candidate will collaborate with our platform teams to identify and develop appropriate sequencing and other molecular and cellular assay technologies that will be used to identify, profile and characterize potential therapeutic candidates
- Build and lead a team of scientists that focus on the evaluation and implementation of sequencing, molecular profiling, and assay technologies from single-molecule space and cellular assays to the broad -omics space
- Set up and manage strategic collaboration with CROs, vendors and/or biotechs for critical assays as needs arise
- Work both independently and as part of a collaborative team to design, plan and execute experiments that support research activities, project goals, and platform development
- Collaborate with computational biology team to develop analysis methods
- Design, execute and troubleshoot experiments
- Maintain lab notebooks and reporting data and results to the scientific team
- Ph.D. in molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, gene therapy, immunology or related field with 5+ years of industry experience is required
- Demonstrated proficiency with all aspects of NGS technology
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead a team
- Passionate and curious about the use of technology in science with a demonstrated ability to identify and onboard new technology platforms for use in a therapeutic development process ranging from discovery to clinical
- Demonstrated understanding of the current therapeutic discovery and development process, especially biologics
- Prior experience with quantitative assessment of on-/off-target and cell penetrance for gene editing and/or gene therapy
- Experience with phenotypic assays, gene editing, automation, high content imaging, flow cytometry, and -omics readouts
- Significant automation experience
- The ability to employ analytical tools, computational and statistical methodology, and automated laboratory technologies to enhance and optimize development workflows
- Experience independently generating precise, reliable data and skillfully interpreting the data
- Demonstrated ability to map scientific question to technology/assay assessment
- A strong self-starter, independent thinker, with strong attention to detail
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, capable of conveying technical information in a clear and thorough manner
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage projects and influence the work of others
- Eager to work with highly skilled and dynamic teams in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and technical setting
Preferred Qualifications, if you have these it would be a plus:
- Track record of designing, developing, and executing high-quality cell profiling assays or screens across multiple cell types and using multiple technologies for biological understanding or therapeutic purposes. This could be in an industry or academic setting.
- Prior experience with single-cell technologies beyond sequencing
- Experience with more advanced cellular models of disease such as 2D co-cultures, spheroids, organoids or organs-on-a-chip
- Experience with mammalian cell culture techniques
- Experience with delivery of gene editing, gene therapy, or RNA interference technologies in vivo or to ex vivo primary cells
- Experience operating in a cross-functional team environment
RECRUITING & STAFFING AGENCIES: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.