Ring Therapeutics Inc. is a privately held, early-stage biotechnology company pioneering a completely novel form of gene therapy by exploiting a family of naturally occurring commensal viruses to create the first redosable and targetable DNA medicines. This approach enables a powerful new class of tropic, persistent, non-integrating vectors that overcome the immunogenicity, and limited tropism of existing gene therapy vectors. Ring Therapeutics is leveraging this versatile technology to develop a broad pipeline of novel, targeted medicines for disease with high unmet medical need.
Ring Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, focused on launching breakthrough companies based on internally conceived innovations and insights. Flagship Pioneering has created over 40 groundbreaking companies over the past fifteen years, all of which are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ:MCRB), Moderna (MRNA), Syros Pharmaceuticals (SYRS), Rubius Therapeutics (RUBY), Axcella Health (AXLA), Evelo Biosciences (EVLO), and Indigo Agriculture.
Ring is seeking an Associate Director to drive the Downstream Bioprocess Development (DSP) team to establish and develop a manufacturing process for our platform. The candidate will develop and optimize downstream unit operations. The candidate will work directly with a team of scientists on synthesis, purification, and scaling, to enable specific therapeutics areas. The candidate will interface with external technology companies, research institutes/universities, and contract manufacturing organizations as required to accelerate the process development efforts. We are searching for driven, enthusiastic and self-motivated individuals who are comfortable multitasking and working independently on various aspects of the platform.
- Lead downstream process development activities to optimize processes for the production of viruses, proteins, viral vectors
- Design and execute key experiments to support development goals using Quality-by-Design (QbD) principles
- Lead a team focused on optimization and development of novel methods in production and purification of gene therapy vectors
- Develop, acquire, and implement new technologies to Ring Process Development platform
- Work closely with the Platform Development and Translational teams to enable platform acceleration and scale-up
- Provide scientific leadership by coordinating teams across diverse backgrounds, spanning in vivo biology to machine learning
- Establish and oversee external project and scientific collaborators and contract research organizations
- Maintain scientific and technical expertise through familiarity with scientific literature, attending conferences, and developing relationships with thought leaders
- Hire, manage and mentor staff. Plan and assign duties to meet departmental and organizational objectives. Provide guidance and direction to staff; establishes expectations, defining roles, supporting career development and managing performance.
- Work closely with an entrepreneurial, highly-collaborative, interdisciplinary team and actively contribute to creating, shaping and executing the scientific vision of the company
- PhD+ 5 years industry experience, MS+10 years industry experience or equivalent in bioengineering, chemical engineering, biology, virology, biochemistry or related field
- Demonstrated ability in working with highly skilled teams in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and technical environment.
- Expertise in protein and gene therapy vector purification, process scale-up, and manufacturing
- Experience with process development and Quality by Design (QbD) methodology.
- Attention to detail, strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience with developing strategic timelines and executing successful on corporate goals
- Demonstrated ability in working with highly skilled teams in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and technical environment
- Strong management experience and success in developing a scientific team and program
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.