Cellarity, Inc. is a privately held, well-funded, early-stage biotechnology company that is pioneering a novel transformative therapeutic approach. Cellarity was founded by Flagship Pioneering, a team of entrepreneurial scientists that conceives, creates, resources, and grows first-in-category life sciences companies. Since 2000, Flagship has created over 75 groundbreaking companies that are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Seres Therapeutics (MCRB), Syros Pharmaceuticals (SYRS), Rubius Therapeutics (RUBY), Evelo Biosciences (EVLO), Kaleido Biosciences (KLDO), and Indigo Agriculture. Cellarity is a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial, and innovation-driven organization seeking to hire an exceptional scientist to join our team.
Cellarity is seeking a highly motivated and innovative Director with expertise in the field of medicinal chemistry to play a vital role in the company’s efforts to validate novel discovery approaches based on cell behavior. The candidate will be working under the supervision of the Head of Chemistry and will be responsible for establishing robust molecule design methods and design novel molecules in collaboration with Machine Learning (ML) and Biology teams, to therapeutically manipulate healthy and diseased cell states. The successful candidate may lead/co-lead two discovery programs, and will work closely with members of Cellarity’s AI, biology, technology, and pharmacology groups, to rapidly advance discovery programs within our discovery portfolio. They will be comfortable working in and contributing to a very dynamic and cross-functional team environment. The ideal candidate must be independent, results oriented, with excellent communication skills and be willing to work in a highly dynamic and fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Co-lead/lead a project team to deliver clinical candidates
- Devise strategies to identify lead-like molecules and optimize compounds that will target multiple cellular pathways/mechanism.
- Develop medicinal chemistry strategies to improve drug-likeness, ADME/DMPK, and safety properties of molecules
- Create and execute strategy to protect and expand intellectual property
- Closely interact with external chemistry CROs, stakeholders within and outside Cellarity
- PhD in synthetic organic chemistry, with at least 10 years industry experience as a medicinal chemist; MS with 12+ years of highly relevant experience will be considered.
- Experience in leading projects and driving programs from initiation through lead optimization phase to clinical lead selection.
- Demonstrated synthetic and medicinal chemistry skills through high quality publications/patents
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strengths in the following areas: creativity, problem-solving, and managing relationships within a matrix project team environment (internal/external partners).
- Demonstrated ability to successfully work in cross-functional teams with an emphasis on teamwork, collaboration, and communication within team and across the department
- Adept at utilizing computational chemistry tools and structure-based drug design principles for lead identification and optimization
- Drug discovery experience in multiple therapeutic areas
- Experience with scaling up synthetic routes
- Experience interacting with CMOs for GLPtox batch and GMP synthesis