Omega Therapeutics is a privately held, well-funded, early stage biotechnology company, backed by a strong leadership team and a first-class scientific advisory team that is pioneering a transformative new therapeutic approach.
Omega Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, which is focused on conceiving, creating, and building breakthrough companies based on internally conceived innovations and insights. Venture Labs has created over 45 category defining companies over the past fifteen years, across human health and sustainability, including Moderna Therapeutics, Indigo Agriculture, Seres Therapeutics, Rubius, and Axcella Health. Omega Therapeutics is pioneering a proprietary new therapeutic modality with the potential to broadly impact the way we treat disease across the entire therapeutics space, including a wealth of those untreatable by current approaches.
Omega Therapeutics is seeking a Research Associate to join the team supporting process development of scalable mRNA synthesis and purification of molecules of interest. The candidate must be independent and motivated, and able to efficiently advance multiple programs.
As part of the Process Development team, he/she will produce and purify test articles and molecules of interest to support various projects from discovery to clinical. The ideal candidate will have broad experience in mRNA production, as well as a good understanding of industry standard purification techniques.
- Responsible to produce mRNA and other test articles in support of the various programs
- Increase efficiency of existing the mRNA production workflows and internalize industry standard production methods into Omega platforms
- Oversees raw materials preparation, buffer preparation and machine maintenance as it pertains to mRNA production
- Conduct, troubleshoot, and modify experiments to reach desired goals.
- Complete standard analytical procedures on formulations and molecules of interest to ensure the quality of the material prior to further experimentation
- Work independently, as well as, collaborate with colleagues in support of project goals
- Communicate research and development findings with internal teams
- Apply efficient work-flows to ensure data and materials are available to internal and external groups in a timely manner
- Assist in maintaining general laboratory functionality, including lab equipment maintenance and the ordering and receiving of lab supplies
- Generate and support generation of IP for core projects
- Adhere to all laboratory safety requirements and procedures
- Senior Research Associate: BA/BS in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biomedical Engineering or related discipline with 6-10 years of laboratory experience
- Research Associate: BA/BS in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biomedical Engineering or related discipline with 2-5 years of laboratory experience
- Experience in mRNA production and purification is a must.
- Additional experience in the production of biomacromolecules such as pDNA, siRNA, proteins or viral gene therapy is a plus
- Experience with multiple modes of purification methods including FPLC, TFF, HPLC/UPLC
- Working knowledge of nucleic acid chemistry, enzymatic and chemical reactions, PCR, plasmid processing, and standard analytical techniques for macromolecules (e.g. electrophoresis, enzyme activity, ELISA, PCR)
- Able to execute and optimize process SOPs for mRNA and protein production
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Powerpoint); prior experience with electronic laboratory notebooks and inventory systems is preferred.
- Demonstrated creativity and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Motivated and curious, experience working with highly technical projects and personnel
- Demonstrated ability in working with highly skilled teams in a fast paced, entrepreneurial and technical setting.
- Highly adaptable and responsive to technical and business opportunities- comfortable delivering against challenging commitments
- Confident, execution focused, team oriented, with an ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment