Empress Therapeutics, Inc. is a well-funded, early stage biotechnology company. Empress uses metagenomics, artificial intelligence and machine learning (AI/ML) to turn human data into novel drugs with a high probability of clinical success. Our focus is on essential microbial products that play an elite role in human health and disease. Our mission is to turn these novel molecular insights into innovative medicines for cancer, immunological, metabolic, and neurodegenerative diseases.
Empress was founded in Flagship’s venture creation engine, where companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), and Editas Medicines (NASDAQ: EDIT) were conceived and created. Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
Empress Tx is seeking a creative, motivated scientist to play a leading role in the drug discovery group. The candidate will be responsible for transforming bacterial genetic sequences into heterologous hosts to generate purified compounds, peptides, and proteins. The role will involve designing, conducting, and optimizing discovery experiments to engineer microbes, synthesize, isolate, and purify novel microbial-derived products. The ideal candidate will have strong expertise in synthetic biology, chemical biology and analytical chemistry. The candidate will contribute critically to shaping the vision and strategy of the Drug Discovery group. The candidate will bring a strong entrepreneurial orientation, demonstrate strong communication skills, and be comfortable working in and contributing to a very dynamic and cross-functional team environment.
- Design and conduct key experiments to engineer, synthesize, isolate and purify microbial products, including via heterologous expression of metabolic pathways in bacteria.
- Contribute creatively and strategically to biochemical assay design, development and optimization.
- Collaborate closely with other computational and wetlab scientists.
- Identify and lead external research relationships with academic and commercial partners.
- Reporting results to scientific team and management.
- Ph.D. focusing on Synthetic Biology, Natural Product Chemistry, Biosynthesis, Enzymology, Biological Engineering, or related field.
- Experience with plasmid design and organism engineering techniques.
- Experience with diverse molecular biology, analytical chemistry, and microbiology techniques, including western blot, PCR, anerobic culture, HPLC, MALDI-TOF MS, LC-MS/MS, NMR, etc.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, capable of conveying technical information in a clear and thorough manner.
- Self-driven and demonstrated ability in working with highly skilled teams in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial setting.
More About Flagship Pioneering
We are creative optimists and we would love for you to consider joining our team! See all our open opportunities across Flagship Pioneering’s Ecosystem!
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship is backed by more than $4.4 billion of aggregate capital commitments, of which over $1.9 billion has been deployed toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $10 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including: Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics, Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SYRS).
We believe pioneering is best done by teams, and that it is a process that can be taught, learned, and replicated. Learn more about our Company Creation Model.
Can Breakthrough Innovations Be Made Systematically? A Conversation With Noubar Afeyan, Flagship Pioneering’s CEO.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.