Empress Therapeutics is an early stage biotechnology company founded by Flagship Pioneering. Empress uses metagenomics, artificial intelligence and machine learning (AI/ML) to turn human data into novel drugs with a high probability of clinical success. Our focus is on Essential Microbial Products (EMPsTM) that play an elite role in human health and disease. Our mission is to turn these novel molecular insights into innovative medicines for cancer, immunological, metabolic, and neurodegenerative diseases.
Empress Therapeutics was founded in Flagship’s venture creation engine, where companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), and Editas Medicines (NASDAQ: EDIT) were conceived and created. Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
Empress Therapeutics is seeking a self-driven Sr. Research Associate to play a critical role in supporting the research and development of the Synthetic Biology & Microbiology Group. The candidate will be responsible for transforming bacterial genetic sequences into heterologous hosts to generate purified compounds, peptides, and proteins. The role will involve conducting, and optimizing discovery experiments to engineer microbes, isolate, and purify novel microbial-derived products. The ideal candidate will have strong expertise in synthetic biology and microbiology. The candidate will bring a strong entrepreneurial orientation, demonstrate strong communication skills, and be comfortable working in and contributing to a very dynamic and cross-functional team environment.
- Independently conduct key experiments to engineer, isolate and purify microbial products, including via heterologous expression of metabolic pathways in bacteria.
- Contribute creatively and strategically to molecular biology assay design, development and optimization.
- Collaborate closely with other scientists and RAs.
- Reporting results to scientific team and management.
- BS. or M.S. 2+ years of relevant industrial experience in Synthetic Biology, Microbiology, Natural Product Chemistry, Biosynthesis, Biological Engineering, or related field.
- Experience with diverse molecular biology, microbiology techniques, including agarose gel DNA extraction, plasmid preparation and transformation, restriction digestion, PCR, anerobic culture, etc.
- Experience with plasmid design and organism engineering techniques such as heterologous expression in E Coli is a plus.
- Experience with analytical chemistry techniques is a plus.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, capable of conveying technical information in a clear and thorough manner.
- Self-driven and demonstrated ability in working with highly skilled teams in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial setting.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.